Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
2,024 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was on twentynineinches.com, and they have four picture of the new Redline monocog 29er. Nice looking bike! I am sure it will be priced right for enty level 29ers.

·
Registered
4,659 Posts
Oliver said:
I was on twentynineinches.com, and they have four picture of the new Redline monocog 29er. Nice looking bike! I am sure it will be priced right for enty level 29ers.
These must be Aluminum bikes right? Great price, but I'm not sure I want another aluminum bike...

It does look good though. I wonder when they'll post geo numbers too.

--

Okay, I just looked at there site, so I figure it'll be steel. I'll probably get one now.

·
Premium Member
48,238 Posts
Wish I Were Riding said:
These must be Aluminum bikes right? Great price, but I'm not sure I want another aluminum bike...

It does look good though. I wonder when they'll post geo numbers too.

--

Okay, I just looked at there site, so I figure it'll be steel. I'll probably get one now.
Could be steel. The tubes and dropouts look pretty small for aluminum.

·
giddy up!
3,249 Posts
All of us need to join hands and pray that they fixed the 110mm rear spacing that plagued their 26" monocog.

Other than that little nitpick I think it's awesome. It'll definitely get people out there riding and will probably serve as the first 29" SS for quite a few.

B

·
Squalor
1,573 Posts
donkey said:
All of us need to join hands and pray that they fixed the 110mm rear spacing that plagued their 26" monocog.

Other than that little nitpick I think it's awesome. It'll definitely get people out there riding and will probably serve as the first 29" SS for quite a few.

B
Surely they fixed it. There is a disc tab back there. Is there such a thing as 110mm rear disc hub? Can you tell I'm not a BMX guy...

Surely they fixed it...(insert Airplane joke here)

LP

·
Premium Member
48,238 Posts
donkey said:

B
I heard the '06 Monocog (26") is 135 mm.

·
Registered
224 Posts
endure26 said:
That frame has disc mounts and that would definately lead me to believe 135mm.

There are no 120mm disc hubs - not enough room.
Stranger things have happened.
Redline had a 130mm disc hub on their Cyclocross bikes last year.
And as for no room on 120mm hubs - Kore makes the Hoochie hub in 110mm spacing - with IS disc mounting holes.

·
Witty McWitterson
5,023 Posts
Looks to be steel and 135 to me folks! Nice slender tubes, wider spacing in the rear. Doesn't look to be suspension corrected though. Looks like a short(er) fork up there, but then, the pic isn't all that great(your links didn't show Shiggy).

Attachments

·
Recovering couch patato
14,019 Posts
My best bet, it's a 450mm fork. Longest that will work with cheap blades.
If they copy the 73/72 geometry from the 26" version, with an 80mm suspension fork in it, it won't be much different from a Kona. Or maybe they made the bike 73/73 with similarly short (1.2"/30,5mm) rake as on the 26"er, so it would handle similarly with a longer suspension fork with 39mm. In the last case the front centre will be really short though, and obvious that will only work on the very largest size(s).

·
In FTF We Trust
1,815 Posts
The latest Monocog and Monocog Flight (steel and aluminum, respectively) bikes are spaced 135mm on the back, so this is sure to be too.

·
Recovering couch patato
14,019 Posts
464mm fork, single butted crmo.
Effective top tube (17″) 603.25mm

I asked the other relevant specifics already, will post when I get them.

Just having this bike on the shop floor should get many people to buy new bikes, like Orbea’s, Fishers, Titus’, etc. Let the customer hit a few curbs on the Shop Monocog29, and they’re sold. Well, almost…
For pro-29″ shop owners ideal to just give a customer this bike “and don’t you return it before it’s really dirty. Imagine a geared bike with suspension the same weight as this bike!”.

I like burly SS’s though, I own an XL Karate Monkey.

·
Premium Member
48,238 Posts
~martini~ said:
Looks to be steel and 135 to me folks! Nice slender tubes, wider spacing in the rear. Doesn't look to be suspension corrected though. Looks like a short(er) fork up there, but then, the pic isn't all that great(your links didn't show Shiggy).
I linked the pics from the http://www.twentynineinches.com site.

·
Premium Member
48,238 Posts
endure26 said:
That frame has disc mounts and that would definately lead me to believe 135mm.

There are no 120mm disc hubs - not enough room.
The Monocog has had disc tabs and 120 mm spacing for a couple of years. Plenty of room for the rotor on a 120 mm singlespeed hub and they do exist in the BMX world.

·
Recovering couch patato
14,019 Posts
In any case, confirmation is that the rear hubs are 135mm.

Looks like forks will actually be 474mm (not sure what fork is in the pic then), offset at 39mm to perfectly match the Reba (which in the beginning retailed for more than this whole bike will).

Sizes 15-17-19-21. 15" the usual 71/74 angles, the others 72/73. Much like the KM, which is good.

Chainstaylength is 445mm with a 96 link chain and 32-20 gear.
Centre of the dropouts is at 450mm, with +/-15mm adjustment, so really short is an option too for those that are into that.

·
Feet back and spread 'em!
624 Posts
rear "dropouts" bendy?

nice looking bike, especially for that money. Any group experience with monocogs as far as those rather thin looking rear dropouts? do they bend easily?

·
Premium Member
7,491 Posts
Used for decades on BMX bikes

Unless you like to ride around with no skewer on your rear wheel, you are not going to bend a rear dropout. Heck, even if you did ride around without a skewer you'd have a pretty hard time!

The slotted stay/plate dropout setup is a proven design. BMX dudes drop of their roof on bikes with pretty much the same dropout setup. You will destroy your wheel and/or other parts of the frame long before the dropouts fail. And if you crash *that* hard, you'll have a lot of other things to worry about, methinks.

Looks like a great bike to me - very sensible geometry, functional parts, and a price that's going to be hard to resist for folks who don't want the suspension/discs on the Rig.

And it's steel. That kicks ass. :)

-Walt

bikecop said:
nice looking bike, especially for that money. Any group experience with monocogs as far as those rather thin looking rear dropouts? do they bend easily?

1 - 20 of 24 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.