Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
184 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys, Just picked up a 2013 monocog and a good price. This is my first SS so this is all new to me. Is it possible to put a better set of wheels on this bike? Do i need different brackets on the rear? and what would be a good bottom bracket/crank upgrade? Trying not to go to crazy with it. I did a search and didn't see anything on this unless i missed it.

·
Registered
101 Posts
I've been riding a monocog for a while and it's a great first SS. Because of the type of chain tensioners that frame runs, you are best off with a bolt-on rear hub. Other than that any 29er wheelset that's ready to shred singletrack should work fine for you. I believe that frame has a 68 mm bottom bracket shell, but you can run any cranks/BB you want as far as I am aware. I had good luck and good chainline with XT cranks with external BB. Make sure and ditch the stock tires if that's what's on there and get some fatties on that B and a good wide handlebar will help with leverage on testy climbs. Enjoy!

·
Registered
184 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thx. Did you upgrade your wheels?

·
Registered
184 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
ahh ok, Are there any pre built wheel sets you could recommend?

·
Registered
101 Posts
You should really spend some time riding that bike on your favorite trails before you get too excited about spending a bunch of money on upgrades. Some people can't stand SS.

·
Super Moderator
4,385 Posts
You should really spend some time riding that bike on your favorite trails before you get too excited about spending a bunch of money on upgrades. Some people can't stand SS.
x2, except the stock wheels are boat anchors. If you ride the bike with the oem wheels and love SS then the wheel upgrade will make it ride so much better.

I found some Easton XC One's on clear out and (despite the freehub warnings) they have make a good bike ride so much better, bolt right on with the factory tensioners. Front wheel needs a 9mm axle, rear needs 135x9mm axle.

Anything else: replace it when it wears out, the differences to the ride of the bike will be much less noticeable than wheel and tire upgrades,

·
Registered
184 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·

Thx. for the info Guys, I think this will be the best idea. I got a good deal on the bike and can always flip it if it's not for me.

·
Registered
183 Posts
Does monocog have horizontal dropouts? If so you need a wheel that can convert from qr to 10mm threaded axle. I've been in same delema & I stumbled onto a used set of Industry 9 wheels. I was about to pull trigger on Hope hub Stan's wheelset. Most quality hub makers Stan's,Hope,& Industry9 all have adapters for different rear wheel applications,but are pricey. I have the Nashbar SS (old SE Racing Stout frame) and has horizontal drop outs. If your bike sets chain tension by bottom bracket,then qr rear is ok and increases your options.

·
Registered
12,171 Posts
get some Stan's Arch EX wheels (or Flows if you really want ride rims) and get them with 10mm rear thru-bolt caps. then put a 10mm Hadley axle in there. solid.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts