Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,381 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
went out for a ride today... redline d440... i noticed a "click" when i hit the front brake, mostly on the street (think it's mostly due to having less to pay attention to not that it any less on the trail) ... every time i'd hit the front brake "click"

i haven't taken a close look but somewhat assume it's the headset (based on reading that the stock head sets tend to need frequent adjustment)

does this sound right?
thanks
mark

·
You know, for kids
1,570 Posts
If you're reading the reviews of the old MonoCogs, the headset issues were a problem of the past. The new headsets are better. It may be that it's not tight enough. Or it could even be that it's too tight. The preload cap on the top of the steer tube adjusts this. Loosen it up and tighten it, not much more than hand tight, just lightly torque it. Make sure the fork moves freely with little drag after that and it should be good to go. If there's drag then you've tightened it too much. If that doesn't solve it I would have a bike shop look at it.

All new headsets should be readjusted after an initial break in period of a few rides. The headset settles into place and may need to be tightened.

·
You know, for kids
1,570 Posts
If the headset is loose and you hit the brakes it can make a click sound. That may not be the problem but it's worth looking at.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.