Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Binge Rider
221 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm going to be buying the Flight Monocog 29er but need some good advice with sizing. Hopefully someone out there is close to my stature & can weigh in. This is my first SS / 29er and can't pin down the size I need. The fact that there are none around to try out makes it important I nail the size the first time since the bike will have to be purchased before trying it out.

I usually ride a large full suspension bike 26" wheels. I am 6'1" however my inseam is 30.75" (torso boy.) The bike store I would be ordering from say I need a 19" (stand over hieght = 31.8") I think the 17" (S.O.H. = 30.75") would be closer but that's right at my inseam. Would the 15" (S.O. = 29.8) be better suited? Or does that not matter so much as the top tube length? Thanks and please reply quick - income taxes are almost here! Spine Shank

·
Recovering couch patato
14,019 Posts
I'd probably sell you the 21". Long torso - long top tube. The 21" Flight is 20mm shorter than the Monocog 21", where 6'1" IMO would be between L and XL. One size is often ca 16-17mm of effective top tube.
Go 21", and watch your dismount.

Note that top tubes slope, just in front of the seat you get more clearance.

Good luck!

J

·
Registered
41 Posts
I just bought a new MCFlight 29er and went with the smallest frame that still had the top tube length I need. The 17" and 15" frames have curiously similar dimensions, other than the seat tube lengths (and standover height). So at 5'9" with a 33" inseam, I went with the 15" frame, which happens to have a toptube nearly identical to my perfect fitting "reference" bike - a 19 1/2" Wicked Fat Chance fixed gear.

I asked Craig about this before he left Redline and for me he said if I wanted a comfy bike to cruise around on, go with the 17", but if I rode aggressively and moved around alot on the bike, then get the 15".

Having said all that, I can't picture a guy 6'1" riding a 15" frame. But if the toptube is of adaquate length for you, combined with a longer stem perhaps, go for it. The stock stem is 90 cm, I think, just right for me. Be aware too, that the cranks that come with the 15" frame are 170 cm, not the usual 175s. That worked for me because I ride mine fixed most of the time.

Good luck.

·
Binge Rider
221 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Good point... more info

Great point about paying attention to crank / stem lengths. Never would've thought to look at that on their spec page or thought those would change with sizes. My intended use for this bike would be to liven up some local trails around here that are becoming a little boring on the full suspension bike. Hopefully make me a better bike handler and faster too. The idea being the benfits / skills from the SS will transfer over to the full suspension riding and not replace the full suspension bike altogether. ;)

The trails here in S.E. Ariznoa are moslty rocky and can be techincal. Though I doubt I would opt for the SS on the real tech stuff. But nearly every trail around here has its share of rock sections. With that said, I would feel more comfortable on a bike that I could manuver fairly easily because of the rocks.

The other purpose for this SS would be chasing my son around the block / BMX track, riding the store for some milk & bread, and just crusing around. Keep the suggestions coming.
Spine

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.