Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
I ride a D440 everyday as a Bike Messanger. I have Planet Bike Casscadia Fenders, Avid Single Digits, Race Face cranks/seatpost/handlebar, and Ritchey 700c Speedmax tires. We are in full blown winter up here and the bike is fantastic!

·
Registered
435 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
i like the d440. i think its the best geared rigid around for the money right now. I got a 2007 gf rig coming my way right now. so ill probably have to wait a few months before getting a new bike.

·
Registered
13 Posts
I commute on a mostly stock d440 everyday and I love that sob. Very fast! Except now when there's an inch or two of ice on the ground... I have to ride like my grandpa's grandpa.
Really contemplating studded tires...

I use the SKS 29er fenders on the front and back they've done a great job keeping me dry through absolutely everything you could imagine... that includes riding two miles in four inches of slush. It was nasty, but fun because I had the front and rear fenders. I did get a little splash on my kicks though. I don't think those tight fitting fenders would work very well in situations where you can get build-up, or if you want to run some beefy tires for getting through the snow.

·
Registered
1,409 Posts
My friend uses a D440 as a daily commuter with 35mm schwalbe slicks when there isn't snow on the ground, knobbies when there is. It works great, good value for the money for sure.

I think redline makes solid frames and offers good value for the components, generally The redline 925 is a very popular commuter singlespeed, and the metro9 uses pretty much the same frame. If you don't need wider than maybe 30mm tires either of those would be great.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.