Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 20 of 101 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys this is a tread for anyone that either lives or rips up some singletrack here in the Redding area. I want people to talk about trails and areas to ride in our area so we all can help each other expore more since its turning into a great place for Mountain Bikers! Lets talk about gear and bikes also so people up here can get real advise from great that works for OUR trails since they do differ from other Singletrack nationwide. And maybe if there are enough members on this fourm from the true Nor Cal we can get some group rides going....... now Post Away!

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
If they continue building trails the way they are building them now, just get a cross bike. If you think I'm joking, I'm not.
I can totally see that for all of the Keswick trails going to the dam, but for everything else im sure every isnt as hardcore as you.:)

·
Registered
1,423 Posts
I'm not hardcore..

I can totally see that for all of the Keswick trails going to the dam, but for everything else im sure every isnt as hardcore as you.:)
Lets see.. You have upper salt creek. All the clear creek trails. 90% of the Swasey BLM trails including the new ones they are putting in on the back side of mule mountain. All of those would be just fine if not best suited for a cross bike.

·
Registered
2,950 Posts
I'm from Chico, but I'd love to check out some trails in the Redding area. What's the best place to hit for some good singletrack?

·
Registered
1,423 Posts
best.. would be

I'm from Chico, but I'd love to check out some trails in the Redding area. What's the best place to hit for some good singletrack?
Park at the brandy creek parking lot in Whiskeytown and ride the Chimney then throw in a up and back on the Papoose. If give me a heads up before you come to town, I would gladly show you around.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Park at the brandy creek parking lot in Whiskeytown and ride the Chimney then throw in a up and back on the Papoose. If give me a heads up before you come to town, I would gladly show you around.
Are the Trails at the brandy creek parking lot marked well?

·
Registered
1,423 Posts
No

Are the Trails at the brandy creek parking lot marked well?
They are not marked that well. But they are findable. Most of them are on the map that you can get at the visitor center. It would be best though to have a guide. I'm available on Saturdays and Mondays. Although I am going to be out of town this weekend.

And to answer your question about Downieville. Yes, there are plenty of people from around here that go to Downieville. It is well worth the trip. I think Redding Mountain Biking club usually does a road trip there in the summer.

·
Registered
2,950 Posts
Thanks for the offer, I'll do that. And of course if you're ever in Chico and need a trail guide, I'll return the favor.

·
Registered
137 Posts
agree...

If they continue building trails the way they are building them now, just get a cross bike. If you think I'm joking, I'm not.
While I'm grateful that there are new trails being built nearby, I definately agree with this. I'm hoping that some of these get rougher with age, but we'll see. Fast but not technical at all.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Totally agree with the new ones. Im trying to find a little tougher/fun so I hear there are more in the whiskeytown area.

·
Registered
271 Posts
I'm gonna have to agree with Loki on this one, it seems all these trails that are being built are designed for cross bikes and dog walkers. Its hard to find anything worthy of riding with a FS rig. Aside from some of the stuff out at Whiskeytown, you could ride a cross bike on everything around here with ease. With this said, I do like the fact trails are being built around here, it wasn't but a few years back where it seemed like mountain biking died around here. Its very cool to see it alive again. When I feel the need to ride through some rocks I head to D-ville, which isn't to far away for a quick trip

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Is there anywhere online where I can find some information on donniville about the trails and places to stay?

·
Registered
2,950 Posts
I'm gonna have to agree with Loki on this one, it seems all these trails that are being built are designed for cross bikes and dog walkers. Its hard to find anything worthy of riding with a FS rig. Aside from some of the stuff out at Whiskeytown, you could ride a cross bike on everything around here with ease. With this said, I do like the fact trails are being built around here, it wasn't but a few years back where it seemed like mountain biking died around here. Its very cool to see it alive again. When I feel the need to ride through some rocks I head to D-ville, which isn't to far away for a quick trip
Hey, you're riding about twice as far as you need to! If you really want some rocks, we've got plenty here in Chico. Of course, nothing around here compares to the Downieville downhill.

·
2012 Race: April 28th!
871 Posts
The new trails being built are designed to be maintenance free for many years. They've got relatively gentle grades and are out sloped to prevent erosion for this reason. I'm excited to have such a large network of new trails open to mtn bikes. I don't understand the complaining about the new trails being too "easy". Consider the conflicts between trail users in urban areas and all the trails where mtn bikes are banned before you complain. We should be thrilled to be getting new trails not complaining. And if you want more technical trails maybe you should put your muscle where your mouth is and help build said trails. There is a designated technical loop at Clikapudi that is in disrepair and could use some work. Ditto for Dry Cr Trail near Shasta Dam. Just saying. What do you guys have against cross bikes anyways? ;)

·
2012 Race: April 28th!
871 Posts
You need to go ride at the Shasta Dam OHV area.You'll want to ride Easy Street, Foundation Trail and the Lemurian Chute, all are worthy of your FS rig. Loki can show you these routes.:thumbsup:

1 - 20 of 101 Posts