Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
277 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Heading up that way this weekend and I've been reading up on Redding. Looks great up there, any reco's? I'll likely ride the lifts at Shasta one day and pedal in Redding the next. 15ish mile loops what I'm after.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,634 Posts
Mule Ridge to Snail Trail to Wintu to Enticer and back to the truck will be a longer ride that 15 miles. Probably push around 2500' gain if not more.

The trail systems there sort of intertwine. Swasey Recreation area and Oak Knoll trail head meet at the top. A loop from Swasey or a loop from Oak Knoll will cross paths. Oak knoll up Mule Ridge is a 25 minutes climb (not steep by MTB terms).

If you wanted to ride the Enticer trail you can ride directly there from bottom of Snail trail (less than 10 minutes) and is somewhat confusing and navigate to top of Enticer without the steeper Wintu climb. You'd have to climb back up, 25 minutes, plus 2 trails that connect each other for about 25 minutes to get back to the top of Mule Ridge. At that point you will want to descend mule mountain, I think they call it Disneyland.

Check the forecast -it can get hot. I rode those trails a few week back, the weeds are really tall in a lot of areas, no line of site through corners making descending sketchy if you are after any kind of speed day. Most is okay, a few trails in a few locations of the trails had high weeds (6' tall).

·
Registered
1,429 Posts
I would suggest skipping the park. The trails are poorly built and not well maintained. If you want to ride Shasta, I would recommend spending the 30 bucks the lift ticket would cost you and get, either multiple 4 mile shuttles to the gateway trails, or one shuttle up to the Sission Callahan trail from Shasta Gravity.

As for Redding, I would recommend Swasey Recreation area, take escalator up, do an out and back on mule mt summit trail, down snail, mule mt trail back, up owens run (new trail built this winter) down enticer, then back up owens for another run down enticer or back down owen's if its more your speed.

I would recommend using Trailforks for way finding over MTB project as Trailforks is more up-to-date. If you would like someone to ride with in Redding I could see if anyone is available.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Also going this weekend. The plan is to ride around 7-10am. Swasey area on Sat, French Fry on Sun.

It will be HOT this weekend. According to wunderground, 81 degrees at 10am on Sat, 83 degrees at that time on Sun. The plan is to cool off with SUPing in Whiskeytown Lake and Shasta Lake, respectively :)

·
NedwannaB
12,791 Posts
Also going this weekend. The plan is to ride around 7-10am. Swasey area on Sat, French Fry on Sun.

It will be HOT this weekend. According to wunderground, 81 degrees at 10am on Sat, 83 degrees at that time on Sun. The plan is to cool off with SUPing in Whiskeytown Lake and Shasta Lake, respectively :)
Lots cooler than last weekend! Great route suggestions except for going to the park??. Save the $$ like mentioned. ?

·
Registered
2,628 Posts
Not trying to stir anything up, but it can be done in under 15 miles (though I mistyped Mule Mtn and should've said Mule Ridge.

I am not a Redding expert, but if I was heading up there this weekend and had one day, I would definitely be doing this loop. It's similar to what I did last time but includes Owen's Run:

Attachments

·
Registered
1,429 Posts
We have way to many Mules around here. Forest Rider apparently thought you said or meant "Mule Ride" instead of "Mule Mt". Two very different trails. The loop you posted is one of the best, I would just recommend an out and back on Mule Mt Summit Trail. Fun trail with great views at the top. Then of course the change to climbing up Owen's Run instead.

Not trying to stir anything up, but it can be done in under 15 miles (though I mistyped Mule Mtn and should've said Mule Ridge.

I am not a Redding expert, but if I was heading up there this weekend and had one day, I would definitely be doing this loop. It's similar to what I did last time but includes Owen's Run:

·
Registered
63 Posts
We have way to many Mules around here. Forest Rider apparently thought you said or meant "Mule Ride" instead of "Mule Mt". Two very different trails. The loop you posted is one of the best, I would just recommend an out and back on Mule Mt Summit Trail. Fun trail with great views at the top. Then of course the change to climbing up Owen's Run instead.
Not to mention that there are about 4 trails called "Meiner's Loop" ;)

·
Registered
277 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·

Can you share that ride via Trailforks? I'll send you my email if so. Or maybe thru Trailforks users.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.