Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2,045 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey NM forum,

I'll be visiting Red River on July 4th weekend with family and was thinking of bringing my bike along (Santa Cruz Superlight). I like pretty much any kind of trail. I realize, coming from Texas, that the elevation will kick my butt at times and I probably wont have much more than 4 hours to ride, nor will I have the legs to ride much more than that.

How is the riding in and around Red River? Any must-ride trails?
Is there any of it within riding distance of town or will I have to drive to the TH?
Any place in town I can get a decent map?

I'd love to have a local show me around if someone is around. I like going down fast. I dont care about going up super fast so long as I get there!

Thanks

·
Registered
1,297 Posts
There are a couple of great threads about riding in that area. Look for the Lost Lake Loop, and Goose Creek Trail. Also, Red River is just over the hill from Taos Ski Valley, so all the riding that is there is available to ride if you are indeed a strong rider.

I would normally offer to show you around but that is a great weekend to stay away from Red River, the wilderness wheelchairs tend to come out big time, and I tend to get into fights.

Let me know if you have any specific questions, glad to help, I have extensive maps if you have GPS capabilities.

·
Registered
2,045 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
greg de taos said:
There are a couple of great threads about riding in that area. Look for the Lost Lake Loop, and Goose Creek Trail. Also, Red River is just over the hill from Taos Ski Valley, so all the riding that is there is available to ride if you are indeed a strong rider.

I would normally offer to show you around but that is a great weekend to stay away from Red River, the wilderness wheelchairs tend to come out big time, and I tend to get into fights.

Let me know if you have any specific questions, glad to help, I have extensive maps if you have GPS capabilities.
Thanks alot. Goose Creek looks great at first glance. I might PM you if I have any specific questions. looks like its about a 7 mile climb up an ATV/doubletrack, and then once you hit the lake, its singletrack down. Is the singletrack at the top tough to find?

Doesnt look overly technical. Im more worried about being dead-tired halfway up the mountain.

it might be super busy, being July4 weekend and all, but Ill be coming from 100 degree weather to hopefully 60s and 70s, so I wont let a few ******* ATV'ers deter me.

I woulda guessed Taos, but when I think of ski mountains, I think of lift-assisted riding which my Superlight wouldnt really handle. Besides, I'd rather have a place I can ride to from in-town.

Thanks

·
Registered
1,297 Posts
Goose Creek is pretty easy to figure out and rideable from town.
I consider TSV rideable from Red River, but I am weird.
No lift assisted at TSV as of now, and they don't allow MTB at all in theory lots of great trails over there though.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.