Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
321 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Okay Guys. I'm going to show some ignorance here. I've ridden White Mesa a couple times, but I'm clueless about Red Mesa. Are they the same place? Is Red Mesa accessed from the same trail system? What is the terrain like in comparison to WM?

Any helpful input would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

·
High Alpine Adventure
1,842 Posts
ABQ Clydesdale said:
Okay Guys. I'm going to show some ignorance here. I've ridden White Mesa a couple times, but I'm clueless about Red Mesa. Are they the same place? Is Red Mesa accessed from the same trail system? What is the terrain like in comparison to WM?

Any helpful input would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!
Red Mesa is across Highway 550 to the west of San Ysidro. To access it you go to the Motorcycle Trials Park and head west from the parking lot. :thumbsup:

·
Registered
321 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks very much.

Do you or anyone else have insight into the type of terrain as compared to White Mesa or other popular areas around Albuquerque?

·
snickers driven
259 Posts
rocky

lots of rock- some loose shale and cobble, some slickrock, ledgy, a bunch jagged. Note to self: bring spare tubes. And a headlamp.

Some of the trails are marked with cairns, enuf to get you started anyways. Leave yourself 3-4 hours if you really want to explore. Need to experience it a good deal more myself. Hmmmm....

·
Registered
1,511 Posts
ABQ Clydesdale said:
Do you or anyone else have insight into the type of terrain as compared to White Mesa or other popular areas around Albuquerque?
You need to go with someone who knows the area. If you have never been, don't waste your time and effort going by yourself.

It is a lot of fun! Lots of rock everywhere. Do a search in this forum and you can see some cool pics/footage.

·
Registered
1,330 Posts
For the most part, much more technical. If you like lots of rock, ledges and slickrock. You will love it.

·
Genius
936 Posts
Rocks, ledges, more rocks, and then more rocks followed by some rocks. Take your full suspension you'll need it. Red Mesa will give your full suspension a workout. Plus its a good proving ground to hone your slow-core skills. There are obstacles galore to play around on.

·
Registered
1,237 Posts
ABQ Clydesdale said:
Red Mesa is like this:
<p><a href="http://vimeo.com/19080111">Bandos on Red Mesa</a> from <a href="http://vimeo.com/user713813">Bryan Andrada</a> on <a href="http://vimeo.com">Vimeo</a>.</p>

·
Registered
321 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks again to everyone...

I really appreciate all the replies and insight. I wouldn't mind hooking up with some of you to ride out there. Do any of you ride during the week, say on Thursdays or Fridays?

·
Bandolero
2,438 Posts
Coxcomb Red

ABQ Clydesdale said:
I really appreciate all the replies and insight. I wouldn't mind hooking up with some of you to ride out there. Do any of you ride during the week, say on Thursdays or Fridays?
The Bandos usually head out Tues/Thurs/Sat. in the ABQ area. When the snow's gone, Otero & East Mountains is the focus. PM me for some info if you want.

I'll start an organized FOO-MTB ride on a specific day once I get skiing out of my system. I just haven't decided what day I want to dedicate to that yet, but it'll probably be Thursday. The Bando rides are fun, but some people aren't up to that level/quality of riding. I'm out of the loop due to white fever for a few weeks but they'll gladly have you tag along.

·
Registered
424 Posts
Gps?

If you have a GPS I have a .gpx file you can download here.

I haven't been out there in a couple of years but need to - great riding. PM me and we could go check it out on a Thursday or Friday.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts