·
Fart smeller
Paid to post this crap.
19,859 Posts
fred-da-trog said:
Rain or shine. Forecast says rain, plan accordingly
Directions here: http://ogrehut.com/trails.php/Sierra-South/RedHills_May_2002

POST RIDE
So far: Fred- awning, chairs, bbq, brauts, buns, potatoe salad, & beer.
Orgre & Fiona- steaks, plates and plastic ware and HOMEMADE cookies
MarkD.-weiners
Is there a place to get out of the wind/rain/hail/sleet/shampoo/monsoon, etc. besides an awning?

fp

·
ol'guy who says hi &waves
2,546 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Finch Platte said:
Is there a place to get out of the wind/rain/hail/sleet/shampoo/monsoon, etc. besides an awning?

fp
Only if you bring it, build it or wear it. Besides, it's only water.

·
2,546 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Finch Platte said:
Tell that to the folks in Napa.

fp
Point made. I'll rephrase.

When properly prepared, I don't mind getting rained on and a little muddy once in a while.

Come join us, bring some warm clothes for after. The awning is 12x12 with a couple sides on it to block the wind.

·
Trail Goddess
988 Posts
fred-da-trog said:

When properly prepared, I don't mind getting rained on and a little muddy once in a while.

Come join us, bring some warm clothes for after. The awning is 12x12 with a couple sides on it to block the wind.
Don't forget some towels. I learned any amount of rain is doable if there's towels afterwards.

Fiona

·
Trail Goddess
988 Posts
Sorry, double post, weather's messing up the signal.

fred-da-trog said:

Don't forget towels.

Fiona

·
2,546 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Roll call: Ogre, Fiona, Soaring Eagle, jilm, Mark R. and me. The weather wasn't too cold. Can't say it wasn't wet, though. Very wet. The climbs reminded me of a fish ladder. We were riding most the time in streams, sometimes 4-6" deep, but traction was excellent and very little mud.

A broken derailer sent me to the truck a little early but I had a back up ride and met up with the group in time for the downhill climax.

I had battery issues with the camera but some pics may surface later.

Brauts, beer and Ogre cookies topped off the day.

'till the next one- Fred

·
It's about showing up.
12,738 Posts
You guys rule!

I copied and moved files from my three computers and CD books onto DVDs and CDs and created 25 gigs of space.
Dues. I would much rather climb upstream. Great ride. I hope to see pictures.

·
Registered
2,817 Posts
Wish I coulda

made it but I was just to exhausted from New Years to even consider getting up that early. Sorry guys!....I really wanted to make the southward treck since you guys come up this way all the time. So when is the next red hills ride??? I did do some riding in Auburn yesterday afternoon and found that my headshock is pretty toast so you guys would have had to listen to me b!tch and moan all day....

s

·
2,546 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
bigboulder said:
................and found that my headshock is pretty toast so you guys would have had to listen to me b!tch and moan all day....

s

We missed you. Your toasted headshock would have probably turned into crumbled croutons at RH. Very rocky. Hope to see you next time.

·
OOOOOOOh Gee Are Eee
5,928 Posts
Thanks Fred, Mark

fred-da-trog said:
Roll call: Ogre, Fiona, Soaring Eagle, jilm, Mark R. and me. The weather wasn't too cold. Can't say it wasn't wet, though. Very wet. The climbs reminded me of a fish ladder. We were riding most the time in streams, sometimes 4-6" deep, but traction was excellent and very little mud.
It was cool that Jilm made the trek down to Redhills while some much more local people stayed at home and watch TV (Gary, Jim). And others who have bragged about how challenging Redhills is stayed home and dry (Joseph).

The rear shock on my Titus blew up on my last Hogan ride (on a lousy fireroad??). So I was on Vivian's bike which is a bit small for me. I missed my suspension, but missed my brakes even more, those Shimano Mechanical disks suck big time in the rain.

The rain wasn't bad at all, I expected to get dumped on but it was more of a steady drizzle for most of the ride. For about a third of the ride it was either barely sprinkling or not raining at all. Most of the water was just on the trails. We joked that there were three types of trails, upstream, downstream, and cross current. At one place for up about a half mile we were going upstream against a 4" deep steady current.

Creek crossings? More like transitions from downstream to crosscurrent back to upstream. Most of the creeks were 12-15' and 8-18" deep. But there were so many. Thank you Woolie Boolies!

We rode somewhere between 12-15 miles... the miles ar Redhills are always rough but the water on the trail added to it. It probably doesn't sound like a big ride unless you were there.

·
Registered
1,442 Posts
I'm glad I wasn't the only one to bail on this ride. Glad you guy's had a great time.

0gre said:
...while some much more local people stayed at home and watch TV (Gary, Jim). And others who have bragged about how challenging Redhills is stayed home and dry (Joseph). ..

·
OOOOOOOh Gee Are Eee
5,928 Posts
Funny thing about that...

imjps said:
I'm glad I wasn't the only one to bail on this ride. Glad you guy's had a great time.
If it was raining as hard as it was when you called it would have been miserable. As it was it wasn't so bad. You suggested the rain might let up around 1PM and it did, it stopped almost entirely for about an hour. The last 1 hour or so of our ride was rain free. It drizzled a bit while we ate. But then around 2:45 while I was driving home the sky opened up and dumped buckets on us. If we had started our ride at 1PM we'd have been happy for the first 1:45 but then it would have been aweful after that.

·
Registered
737 Posts
I was there

Mentally. The bike was prepped. I was prepped, and my bag was buy the door ready to go! I set my clock to get up. I got up and looked out side……… and just thought NO! way man do I feel like getting out in that Muck so I can get a ride in. I was already very, very warm and cozy. I just could not bring myself to go this time. Too many mental scars of the two battles in the rain last session I guess. ( shivering )

JDT

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.