Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

Red Grease/Oil on Fox 36Talas RC2

582 views 4 replies 4 participants last post by  Brown_Teeth 
#1 ·
I received my new fork this morning. It appears that some sort of red grease or oil has leaked or discharged from the axle area discolored the Fox sticker at the bottom of the Talas side.

I know that Fox fluid is yellow/green. Does the Talas use a red fluid or this this just grease from the 20mm axle?

Any advise would be appreciated. I'm not fussed about having a multicolored fork but want to ensure that I haven't lost any essential lubrication.

Thanks.

#2 ·
mcoccia said:
I received my new fork this morning. It appears that some sort of red grease or oil has leaked or discharged from the axle area discolored the Fox sticker at the bottom of the Talas side.

I know that Fox fluid is yellow/green. Does the Talas use a red fluid or this this just grease from the 20mm axle?

Any advise would be appreciated. I'm not fussed about having a multicolored fork but want to ensure that I haven't lost any essential lubrication.

Thanks.
The Fox fork oil I've used in the past is red. Red Rum oil (Fox product) is, well, red. No advise to give, just some information.

Monte

#3 ·
Ummm...Red Rum is not a Fox porduct....

It is exclusively a Rock Shox product. Highly unlikely that you'd find a RS prodcut in a Fox fork. However, Red Rum is not the only "Red" colored lubricant out there.

As for the discoloration on you fork. I really don't know, it well could be a packing grease or coating used on the 20mm axle. I would suggest that you contact Fox by phone and ask, email can take a little while with most companies. From what you describe I would be inclined to think it is some sort of lube or preservative for the axle. If stored upside down in a high heat evnironment (read warehouse or shop back room), it well could have gotten hot and melted or flowed onto the fork leg.

Hopefully someone else here is more knowledgable about this subject. However, should there not be a call to Fox would be in order I would think.

Good Dirt

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.