Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
4,715 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Wanting to get a Chris King headset for my HiFi - it's flat black. Debating on either a black or red Chris King nothread headset.

Was wondering if some have a red Chris King on a black bike and could post some pics to give me an idea. Just wondering if it would be too much red.

Here's my ride...

Thnx! :thumbsup:

·
Ride the dream
1,381 Posts
MI_canuck said:
Wanting to get a Chris King headset for my HiFi - it's flat black. Debating on either a black or red Chris King nothread headset.

Was wondering if some have a red Chris King on a black bike and could post some pics to give me an idea. Just wondering if it would be too much red.

Thnx! :thumbsup:
Well, aslong as you choose ONLY red for highlights, it will look really good.

So for example - frame and components are black - but headset, lockon (ODI) clamps, hubs(?), etc are red... that rocks.

Having metal parts in a different colour (aslong as theyre all same/similar) against black looks awesome. GO FOR IT

·
Do You Like To Climb?
152 Posts
not red, but I chose pewter as an alternative to a plain black HS.

with other red accents red would be good for you.

·
Registered
4,715 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
thanks for the responses - the Duck Killers bike looks pretty sweet! :thumbsup:

(P.S. - picked up a red Chris King today, and also have a SRAM PG990 11-34 on the way - has the red anodized spider)

·
Registered
143 Posts
Snaila4 said:
not red, but I chose pewter as an alternative to a plain black HS.

with other red accents red would be good for you.
I would definitely skip the pewter, it looks way too purple in person. The pewter looks great in pictures but in person it is just not nearly as attractive.

I would definitely say red, I have all red accents on my white 575 and it looks great. Only other color I think would look really good on the black is mango, thats only if you keep everything else black though since no one else besides King makes parts that color.

·
Dirt Deviant
3,694 Posts
The red will look sweet with your lock ons and the easton details. Good call on the PG990 BTW.
I built up a flat black Ibex Ignition and used red as my details and it looks sweet. Didn't spring for a CK though, at least not yet.
I too use the PG990 on all my bikes and it is awesome.
I got a set of the Peatys too, as well as a set of the north shore lock ons and swapped the clamps around. North Shores with the red clamps for the Ibex, and grey peatys with the silver clamps for my BMC Superstroke. My BMC is all Silver-Grey-Black and it looks pretty sharp with the clamps swapped around.
I just got a set of Sun Ringle STR8 Tracks AM wheels and was pleased to see it comes with a red alluminum freewheel body. Looks pretty sharp.
Anyways, I'm sure your Hi-Fi is gonna look rad with the red details.

·
Registered
633 Posts
Glad you like my stick, I love the CK in red, made a cool UGI. I also ordered a pg990 and Fedex shows it will be here on Tuesday the 9th. I wanted to do the CK hubs but they are just too expensive and I have heard that they take a ton of maintenance. I actually put together some Hope Pro II in red laced to 321's but already taco'ed the front so I am now running Sun Singletracks (not as cool).

·
Registered
143 Posts
FoShizzle said:
red and black is a great combo...here is a pic of one of my old bikes in case it helps
Did you just sell those Industry Nine/ DT wheels in the classifieds? I saw the ad and was going to email you about the rims. Where did you get the white DT rims?

·
Fo' Bidniz in da haus
17,282 Posts
Duff Man said:
Did you just sell those Industry Nine/ DT wheels in the classifieds? I saw the ad and was going to email you about the rims. Where did you get the white DT rims?
My man Chad from red barn bicycles (406-369-0487) can hook you up. He took care of the custom painting for me. DT is retarded and at least when i got the wheelset, the only way you could get white rims was to buy that stoopid azz ex 1750 POS rip off wheelset...they didnt and probably still dont offer the 5.1s in white as single items.

in any event, chad can take care of you...he is OUTSTANDING to deal with be it wheels, frames, complete bikes, etc...

cheers

·
Registered
4,715 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 · (Edited)
red Chris King HS installed!

finally got it installed... was going to do it myself but my LBS offered to do it for free... so why not :thumbsup:

(phone pics - not the greatest but.... you get the idea)

glad i went with red - looks great in person - thanks for all the pics and replies! :thumbsup:

Now all I need are red hubs... red spoke nipples... red accented seat... and maybe red seat post clamp... and some Elixir CR brakes when available...

cheers

1 - 20 of 24 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.