Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
164 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Okay, so I am buying a new pair of XC shoes, and the wife asks "When are you going to clean out the garage of all the old stuff?," I look around and say "What old stuff?" at which point she starts throwing things at me. Old shoes, helmuts, chains, crank arms etc. Good thing I just watched DodgeBall! But anyway, being fairly tree-huggeristic like I am, I dont want to just chunk stuff into the local landfill. Any ideas about what to do with things like shoes, helmuts and other things that have outworn thier usefullness? Metals, no problem, but the other stuff?

·
Registered
1,019 Posts
I was just thinking about this last night (sort of).

My take: If it is totally useless for anyone, then toss it, it's just taking space.

Stuff like cranks, headsets, etc. If they are even semi-useful, then keep them. They are at least good enough to put on as a spare, to keep you riding if you need it, or maybe you can build another bike down the road.

I was actually thinking about an old pair of shoes I have that got a bit melted whilst drying at a campfire. THey are not destroyed, but I have several pairs of more comfy shoes (now), so I won't wear them. I thought about offering them up for free to someone that wanted to try clipless but was not sure...

A buddy of mine uses old chainrings and stuff to make some cool wall-art. He has a pimpin' sculpture of Campy (road) rings in his guest bathroom....

·
Registered
420 Posts
Leaf Magnet said:
You can always give it to some organization that fixes up old bikes for poor kids.
Also about making things, I took a pair of old hubs and a 5 speed freewheel and used them to make a lamp.
Old XTR chains make really nice chain whips with pretty chain that doesnt rust in your tool box.

I sell on old parts that have life left in them on a site like ebay. Someone else might have a use for your old stuff. If the shoes have buckles on them then someone might want them too ... my Sidi's buckles cost me nearly $US25 for two replacements .... they're just cheap plastic buckles that cost $1 or $2 to make.

Putting together a bike out of spares with just buying a few parts to complete it is also great, many single speeds have been born that way.

-Chris

·
Fashionably functional...
310 Posts
My old stuff works its way down through my bike hierarchy. And eventually to my friends if it's higher quality stuff. The cheaper OEM stuff, and old clothing/shoes/helmets gets donated to my non-profit agency's thrift shop.

·
President, CEO of Earth
1,001 Posts
A few cities in canada...

... have bicycle co-ops where old and abandoned and unwanted bikes wind up to find a second life.

I am one of the volunteer mechanics at the one here in Ottawa - here's a link.

Ottawa re-Cycles

I know there are similar organizations in Toronto, a few other south-western ontario cities, and some US cities. There are some links at the ottawa re-Cycles site.

·
Old School
75 Posts
All of the above is good advice. I've been ebaying my old stuff lately. "vintage" or "old school" parts sell pretty well.
Making frankensteins is also fun. my mongoose Kos Cruiser sidecar is a beloved example. break out a torch and see what you get!

Some make bicycle art from old parts. There is a certain innate beauty in a bike part.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.