Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,974 Posts
Interesting....

.....very cool....must be where my lbs sends the chains they encourage all their customers to bring in and recycle. Hopefully they go to good use.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
540 Posts
gtluke said:
50 pounds of high grade material like our chains is probably worth some good cash.
hate to say it, but even when steel was trading at $1000/tonne, 50 pounds of scrap steel was only worth about 20 bucks. Now that scrap is trading much lower, around $250 a ton, you're looking at around 5 dollars for 50 pounds worth of chains.

With that said, the benifits are not just economic, its a good thing to recycle limited materials.

Fun fact, steel is the most recycled material around, something like 78% of steel is recycled, and has been recycled for 150 years.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
910 Posts
msrothwe said:
hate to say it, but even when steel was trading at $1000/tonne, 50 pounds of scrap steel was only worth about 20 bucks. Now that scrap is trading much lower, around $250 a ton, you're looking at around 5 dollars for 50 pounds worth of chains.

With that said, the benifits are not just economic, its a good thing to recycle limited materials.

Fun fact, steel is the most recycled material around, something like 78% of steel is recycled, and has been recycled for 150 years.
I thought that car batteries were more recycled. 98% is the statistic.
 

·
One Colorful Rider
Joined
·
1,204 Posts
msrothwe said:
hate to say it, but even when steel was trading at $1000/tonne, 50 pounds of scrap steel was only worth about 20 bucks. Now that scrap is trading much lower, around $250 a ton, you're looking at around 5 dollars for 50 pounds worth of chains.

With that said, the benifits are not just economic, its a good thing to recycle limited materials.

Fun fact, steel is the most recycled material around, something like 78% of steel is recycled, and has been recycled for 150 years.
Yes It more about Recycling what we can instead of money in you pocket!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
251 Posts
JeffSkisMontana said:
.....very cool....must be where my lbs sends the chains they encourage all their customers to bring in and recycle. Hopefully they go to good use.
Whatever, send them free stuff and in return they gouge on prices. $40 for a frame and $14 for a bottle opener? eff that and them.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
654 Posts
RogerDoger said:
Whatever, send them free stuff and in return they gouge on prices. $40 for a frame and $14 for a bottle opener? eff that and them.
I thought that at first when I saw the price of their stuff, too. Then I thought, in 18 years of MTBing, I've never used a chain to make stuff- other than my drivetrain work.
I'll send them my chains. Gouge away. It's not like they're selling gasoline. People don't HAVE to buy their products.
 

·
Is dang happy!
Joined
·
1,384 Posts
Bah humbug to you too.

RogerDoger said:
Whatever, send them free stuff and in return they gouge on prices. $40 for a frame and $14 for a bottle opener? eff that and them.
That chain bowl is sweet and if you think $14 is $$$ for handmade crafts you should start making them yourself for less.

The chainlink clock widget is free there.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
410 Posts
They don't really recycle them, they just take junk and make more junk out of it. It will end up in the landfill sooner or later. Seems like the energy used to make these products could be spent on better uses.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,126 Posts
ggnarl said:
They don't really recycle them, they just take junk and make more junk out of it. It will end up in the landfill sooner or later. Seems like the energy used to make these products could be spent on better uses.
If it's junk to you don't buy them. And the products can still be recycled, no landfills required. :thumbsup:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
748 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
ggnarl said:
They don't really recycle them, they just take junk and make more junk out of it. It will end up in the landfill sooner or later. Seems like the energy used to make these products could be spent on better uses.
IMO recycling is also making things like art out of material that would otherwise be thrown away.
 
1 - 20 of 41 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top