Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Live 2 Ride
6,066 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So, out of curiosity, have any of you tried riding a Recumbent? I recently picked up one for dirt cheap just to have something different to ride every now and then. It's super heavy at 42 pounds, but once up to speed on the road it glides almost as fast as a road bike. I will never give up my mountain bike, but for something different to ride now and then it's really fun.

·
well mannered lout
3,031 Posts
We have a BikeE with front and rear shocks from when my wife had problems with her neck and shoulders. It's a strange ride for sure.

Most of the BikeE models run a simple single chain system. We have one of the ones with a double chain set system.

BikeE.jpg

·
Live 2 Ride
6,066 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yeah I have the 2002 BikeE CT. It has a 3 speed internally geared rear hub with a 7 speed cassette on the outside. It needs new shifters, the 20 year old gripshifts barely work, and the internal gearing on the rear hub only shifts 2 out of the 3 gears it has. It has allowed me to ride right now since a pinched nerve in the upper left arm has made riding the mountain bike almost impossible. Had to learn how to balance on it, so very different from a regular bike.

·
Registered
106 Posts
IMHO - I personally think everybody should or should have owned one. I originally had a Burley Django before upgrading to a Volae Expedition Pro. The Burley was around that 42lb mark as well and the Volae was just a few pounds lighter. I put a 53t chainring on the Volae which turned it into a rocket ship that was untouchable on the flats and the downhills.

I always heard people say that recumbents can't climb hills, but they always stopped saying that after I went on a ride with them. Since recumbents use different muscle groups than an upright bike, it takes awhile to build those muscle groups which will cause a recumbent to climb nearly as well as an upright. I say nearly since you still have the ability to stand on the pedals for an upright bike. But what little bit you may loose on the uphills, I always found out that I gained several times as much on the flats and downhills. It just seemed like people who were accustom to riding upright bikes would expect to jump on a recumbent and be able to climb just as well without understanding that they would need to train to build muscle groups just like they did when they started riding an upright bike.

Alas, I did however have to succumb to social norms as recumbents continued to get banned from races because of their areo advantage so now I run a Trek Emonda...however, my fastest times on flats and downhills continue to be those set by the Volae.
20170530_174346.jpg 20190517_085742_resized_1.jpg

·
Registered
14,732 Posts
I always heard people say that recumbents can't climb hills, but they always stopped saying that after I went on a ride with them. Since recumbents use different muscle groups than an upright bike, it takes awhile to build those muscle groups which will cause a recumbent to climb nearly as well as an upright.
I rode one for about a year and it was pretty fun but a slow climber compared to a road bike.

·
Registered
106 Posts
I rode one for about a year and it was pretty fun but a slow climber compared to a road bike.
FWIW - It took me a couple of years of training to really be able to make a recumbent climb extremely well. It seemed like I spent a lifetime of doing vertical leg presses and lunges which helped build my quads for an upright bike, but I didn't spend much time doing horizontal/lateral leg presses which seemed to help for a recumbent. After a few years I could easily leg press more weight horizontally than I could vertically. Unfortunately that work was short lived as it was shortly afterwards when they began banning recumbents from many local races and group riders just wanted to complain on how they could not keep up with you. But this comment is probably only pertinent for the speed demons and racers out there...you know who you are😏

·
Registered
14,732 Posts
Unfortunately that work was short lived as it was shortly afterwards when they began banning recumbents from many local races and group riders just wanted to complain on how they could not keep up with you. But this comment is probably only pertinent for the speed demons and racers out there...you know who you are😏

When were recumbents ever allowed in races? Never in a UCI sanctioned race.

I think a year was enough for me, I rode that thing a lot. I could climb better than most on it but no way could I ever hang with a spirited group ride on a hilly route, need a real bike for that ;p

·
Live 2 Ride
6,066 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
If it helps I don't have a beard. 😊

·
Registered
2,401 Posts
I bought and rode a used one for most of a summer when I had a herniated disc in my neck a decade or so ago. It was not bad, comfortable and rolled decently on pavement. Scary on dirt roads tho. I enjoyed the relative comfort and the upright position for looking around and situational awareness. I recall doing 80+ miles one day and stopping for icecream. There were no seats so I just sat on the bike comfortably and ate my cone. When was the last time you did that on a regular bike? I sold it for about what I paid for it after just storing it for a couple of years but I could see owning one again.
7421489358_b98ee2c646_h[1].jpg

·
CEO Product Failure
1,608 Posts
I've done a lot of road riding over the years. I've ridden with and encountered recumbent riders pretty frequently. Unsure if its owed to the bike or the rider, but recumbents I've come across are slow and usually passed by every other type of rider: newbie, master, racers, enthusiasts, etc. On the group rides, recumbent riders typically bail at some point to avoid a hill. I live in Midwest. Our climbs can be severe around river valleys but nothing as sustained as out west.

I have ridden a recumbent. It was ok. Low visibility to motorists seems pretty scary.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts