Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
653 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So its time that I invest in some type of travel cargo/bag/case for my bike.
Planning on doing some trips and flying with my bike.

What are the go to bags/cases?
I have an Evil Offering Large 29r.

I dont know much about these. I always thought of getting an actual case for added protection. Most videos I see they use a large bag. Wouldn't this allow the bike to be damaged?
Would a bag be just fine, or should I go for the case?

·
No known cure
5,749 Posts
I like the hard shell Trico case. It fits the bike on one level, the wheels on another and I stuff most of my gear in there. It also has wheels and a pull out handle so it's easy to drag around the airport.

·
Registered
989 Posts
I dont know much about these. I always thought of getting an actual case for added protection. Most videos I see they use a large bag. Wouldn't this allow the bike to be damaged?
Would a bag be just fine, or should I go for the case?
Hardcases of course offer best protection, but they are bulky and heavy. If youre transporting a FS enduro bike you will most likely go over weight. When youre not using case, will you have space for the bag?
I use a Thule softcase that if almost characterize as semi-soft. It has a rigid plastic base that bike clips into. Soft sides that have folding coroplast panels that insert that give it a more rigid side. Havent had a problem. I recommend finding a rear axle spacer (i made one from pvc pipe), removing rear deraileur and disc rotors in addition to the required pedal and handlebar removal.
I put my carbon 6" travel FS, shoes and some tools and can get it right at 50lbs. Itll be oversize no matter what, but sometimes Theyve weight it too!
I recommend finding one that wheels with it vertical. Friend had one that rolled with it the wide ways and he had a pain naviating airports and hotel lobbies.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.