Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Gentleman Loser
427 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So, on the 10th I broke my left arm (transverse fracture, proximal radius). On friday, I had a plate installed to affix the two fragments (open reduction, internal fixation).

The surgery went very well, and I have proper bone alignment and no nerve damage or vascular damage.

My question to you is, how long am I off my bike!?

Doc says 10 to 12 weeks or more, which I find distressing but acceptable. Anyone here go through ORIF of the radius or ulna?

When were you again comfortable riding your bike hardcore?

·
Registered
48 Posts
Good luck on your recovery Count!
I shattered my 2nd and 3rd metatarsals of my left foot on November 9th (12 pieces in total). Had an external fixation and was non weight bearing for 7+ weeks.

Back walking again (kind of) and actually just completing my new bike build. I hope to be out on it this weekend -- nothing difficult. Probably just cruising around the neighborhood for the next month or so.

Best,

Susan

Count Zero said:
So, on the 10th I broke my left arm (transverse fracture, proximal radius). On friday, I had a plate installed to affix the two fragments (open reduction, internal fixation).

The surgery went very well, and I have proper bone alignment and no nerve damage or vascular damage.

My question to you is, how long am I off my bike!?

Doc says 10 to 12 weeks or more, which I find distressing but acceptable. Anyone here go through ORIF of the radius or ulna?

When were you again comfortable riding your bike hardcore?

·
Registered
66 Posts
Broken upper humerus

I broke my upper left arm bone (proximal humerus) and had to be on a sling for 6 weeks! Luckily, the break didn't misalign the broken bones so no surgery required for me. Now I'm going on my 7th week since the injury and still can't move my arm that much. It still hurts if I move it certain ways. The doctor said I can just ride my road bike (if I can tolerate the pain) and nothing more "aggressive". :(

·
Registered
616 Posts
Back in 1989 I broke my right radius and completely dislocated my right wrist racing MX. It's just not right looking at you hand coming off you arm at a 90 degree angle. After getting a steel plate in the arm, I was out of commission I think for about 8-9 weeks before I could weight lift, and about 3 months before I raced again. One problem was the muscles moving over the plate caused a little discomfort, but that went away. Now I rarely think about it. You should be able to road ride fairly soon, when you don't feel too much pain. Do this as a way to test your arm, then you will know when to hit the trail. It will probably be before the doc wants you to though.

·
Sweep the leg!
3,803 Posts
For me the variables were my tolerance of pain and how good an Orthopaedic surgeon I had. '95 (left) & 2000 (right) I had displaced fractures of the clavical (collar bone) and was restricted only by the pain from soft tissue damage... I was back on the bike in less than a week in both cases.

In 2002 I broke both wrists in a motorcycle accident. They had to repair the interface between the Radius & the Capitate. on the right they installed plates on either side and 9 screws to restore the radius. On the left they installed one plate on the underside, 6 screws and pinned a chip back in place above. After 8 weeks in wrist casts (and having my wife assist with...er.."bodily" functions) and 4 more weeks I had very little range of motion. By 16 weeks I had ~90% range of motion and ~50% strength. By 6 months I had normal range and ~90% strength. I'm now "normal" and the PT/OT folks were impressed. The only concern was whether the tendons would be aggitated as they crossed the plates/screws. So far they're fine.

Take it easy, use pain as your limiter.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.