Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Over the last month I have been having issues with my Patella Tendon hurting. It started about a month ago in a race where I hit both of my knees on rocks. When I got back on the bike, my knees hurt each pedal stroke. The pain subsided during the race, but I couldn't bend my knees for about 5 minutes after the race. Later that day, they hurt going up and down stairs.

I kept riding during the week after the race because I was on a spring break mountain biking trip. My knees would ache during rides, but nothing debilitating. Once I got back from the trip, I went on a couple of rides for a week with no issues. The second week after the trip, I went for a mountain ride and one of my knees started aching. A couple of days later I went on a 40 miles road ride. About 25 miles in, I couldn't pedal without my knee hurting below the kneecap. I ended up pedaling the last 15 miles on one leg.

Since then, I've been icing, stretching, and resting. I am going to a bike fit this week. My question is, how long do I want to rest the knee for a full recovery?

Also, I race on a 1x10 drivetrain with a 32 tooth chainring. Should I switch to a 2x10 to reduce the force I put on my knees while climbing?

·
Fat-tired Roadie
18,453 Posts
Trauma and overtraining injuries are different, but yours is acting like the second one. Go see a doctor!

I had some knee problems a while ago. I got better, but it took cutting way, way back and then building back up over about a year. You can probably come back faster, but your XC season may be over.

·
Registered
30 Posts
I second the doctor advice. I banged my patella last year, not as much pain as it sounds like you are dealing with. Most of pain came under the knee cap after a ride and the next day. It would also swell up, I found compression and ice helped. Wrapping it w an ace bandage when on my feet all day elevated the pain as well as a light icing after a ride. Again, I would see a doctor if you have insurance.

·
Registered
438 Posts
I've injured my patella twice. The first time was a minor fall. It was sore, but doesn't sound like it was nearly as bad initially as yours. I could still bend my knee after the ride. That hurt for a little over a month, really only when I was on the bike after the first few days of initial pain.

The second time was a fractured patella. Waited two days, but it knew something was very wrong, I didn't think it was broken though. I was able to walk, but had severe pain when I bent my knee over about 30 degrees. No surgery, I was luck, and it still aches sometimes 3 and a half years later..

It is a big tendon and takes a while to heal. Let pain be your guide, but it sounds like a couple weeks off the bike might be good for you.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for all of the advice. I was off the bike, icing, and stretching for 2 weeks. Started biking the 3 miles to school again this week. The knee was feeling good until the 4th day when I rode to school and back twice. This is all easy pedaling too. It seems to start getting sore if I sit with my leg bent for too long as well. I've made an appointment with an orthopedist tomorrow. I'll let you know what he says.

·
Fat-tired Roadie
18,453 Posts
Going straight back to riding in every day is too fast, even if it's not much compared to your usual. Maybe just do it three times this week. Good that you're going to see a real doctor.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Good news from the orthopedist. There is nothing seriously wrong with my knee. I bruised the patella when I fell and muscle inflexibility has been causing the continuing irritation. He told me that with stretching and leg strength exercise, I should be back to my normal cycling level in a couple of weeks. He also said that the pain I feel is not causing any damage to my knee.

·
Registered
584 Posts
I used to have this problem whenever I force pedal trying to accelerate. I wore a patella guard (brace) on my left knee and the difference was like night and day (hot and cold). Now I think my knee is a lot stronger and don't wear the brace anymore.

·
Registered
382 Posts
I went to a physical therapist for patellar tendonitis. I was given a massage to do. Sit on the floor with your leg straight in front of you. With your thumb, push down(push your kneecap toward your foot). With your other hand, place your middle finger over your index finger and massage the area just under the knee cap. This area will probablly be sore. Move your fingers over the tender area from side to side. This massage really helped me. Good luck.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
The knee is starting to feel better after a week of going to the gym for legs exercises, stretching, and no biking. I also started taking Glucosamine Chondroitin a couple of times a day. I changed my 1x10 to a 2x10 and went on an easy 8 mile 800ft mountain ride yesterday. I also wore a knee strap for support. My knee felt good for most of the ride. It started getting slightly sore near the top of the climb and I stopped and stretched.

Today it has been mildly sore after doing the squat machine at the gym. Overall it is much better than it was a week ago. I am going to keep hitting the gym, stretching, and slowly build my riding time back up.

I met a guy on the trail who took this awesome photo during my ride yesterday as well.

2014-05-04 19.31.55.jpg

·
Registered
25 Posts
Just remember, you can push through discomfort.. But not pain.
I am just over 6 months removed from ACL reconstruction (Patellar allograft) and arthoscopic, and my knee still gets quite stiff.
My first sentence really helped me in my recovery and I will be ready for the upcoming ski season! Haha

·
Registered
12 Posts
ive actually dislocated my patella....twice.

and in each case, i think it took me the better part of 6 months before i was at "full strength"....seeing as yours stayed in place, it should be much shorter recovery.

ide definatelly have it checked out by a doctor, and hell likely end up prescribing some physical therapy if its severe enough......

ive found stretching before any physical activity is the best way to keep from re-injuring it.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
After a couple of weeks of stretching and strength training, my knee is still feeling iffy. I've been on 3 easy mountain rides in that time. It seems like my knee is aching on the outside and above the kneecap now.

·
Registered
1,738 Posts
I'm currently recovering from patellar tendonitis as well. There is nothing much you can do to accelerate the recovery at a certain point. Ice and heat will help with the initial swelling but my doctor said that the rest is just going to have to happen naturally.

I'd suggest keeping the amount of cycling light and make sure your seat level is correct, too low of a seat will aggravate things. I switched to doing lots of hiking instead--low impact (no running) is fine. I went backpacking last weekend with a 37lb pack and it was fine.

I have a patellar strap (under the knee) and an IT-band strap (above knee) that both seem to help with preventing inflammation when riding, but ultimately you're just going to have to take it easy, switch up hobbies for a bit, and let it heal.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts