Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
970 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A winter of mud has taken it's toll on my 240 rear hub. The driveside bearing in the hubshell is seized which is an easy enough fix once I acquire the star-ratchet tool to get access to it.

Unfortunately the inner bearing in the freehub is also seized. I'm having trouble figuring out how to gain access to that bearing to replace it. Is the done thing just to replace the whole freehub?

DT Swiss's hub overhaul instructions mention a 'reconditioned freehub' which makes me think it is possible to replace bearings in the freehub. Does the star-ratchet unscrew from the freehub as it does in the hub body or do I get at it from the cassette lockring end? I had a look at what would be involved in that approach and I can't see how the seal on the outer end of the freehub wouldn't be destroyed in removing it.

·
Registered
50 Posts
The freehub bearings are replaceable. You can contact DT Swiss for details, but simply move the spacer inbetween the inner & outer bearing vertically to gain access behind the inner bearing for removal. The bearing size is 6902(15*28*7), I believe, just like the hub.

·
Registered
375 Posts
Yes the DT free hub body are serviceable... as wannabfast suggested slide the spacer in between the two bearings aside to tap the outer bearing out first. There is a circlip that retains the inner bearing you will need to use a circlip plier to remove the circlip and tap the second bearing out.

If you have not replaced the free hub body with one from the road hub body to save a few grams the bearings inside the free hub body are the same as the rest.

·
Registered
229 Posts
The star ratchet (freewheel) mechanism is user serviceable, the bearings are not, unless you want to buy some expensive tools or can figure out a way to disassemble the thing without them.

I read through the service manual and the overhaul procedure looked difficult to do without the proper tools.

·
Registered
970 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
wannabfast and WOY were on the money. i don't know why that didn't make sense to me straight away. i guess the seal that's on the hugi hub made it look harder than it was.

my method, slide spacer to side, tap outer bearing out of freehub. spacer falls out, remove c-clip, tap inner bearing out. reverse to reassemble it. 10 minute job.

·
Registered
2 Posts
aussie_yeti said:
wannabfast and WOY were on the money. i don't know why that didn't make sense to me straight away. i guess the seal that's on the hugi hub made it look harder than it was.

my method, slide spacer to side, tap outer bearing out of freehub. spacer falls out, remove c-clip, tap inner bearing out. reverse to reassemble it. 10 minute job.
First, sorry for resurrecting the thread.

My question is whether or not the bearings in the freehub body are press-fit (i.e. I need some kind of press-fitting-tool).

·
Registered
375 Posts
zriggle said:
Match the socket size to the outer race, hold it in place and just bang on it with a rubber mallet?
Pretty much it, the important thing here is to make sure you are not pushing on the rubber seal but the outer race. Also you should not have to bang, gentle tap should do the trick :)

Now also when you push in the outer bearing do not push it in too tight or else you will put too much side loading on the bearing causing unnecessary fraction and wear. When it is done right the centre spacer should still be be movable by finger.

·
Registered
17 Posts
aussie_yeti said:
I'm trying to fix a 240s singlespeed freehub and need a little help. The singlespeed one looks similar to the full size freehubs.

Firstly what is the "spacer"? Is it part HCDXXX00S1077S in the docs?

When you refer to inner and outer bearing, do you mean inner and outer race, or the two separate bearings?

If two separate bearings, how can the bearings possibly be tapped out separately, i.e. outer first then inner? Surely they can only be tapped out together, they are right next to each other... or am I missing something obvious?

·
Registered
17 Posts
Ok I've worked a couple of things out. The 240s singlespeed freehub is a little different. There's no spacer in between the two bearings like on the ordinary freehub.

The singlespeed freehub the bearings appear to be just pressed in side by side. I still haven't been able to budge either bearing though.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Ok.. I got the bearings out, but the process is not as simple as with the ordinary freehub.

In fact the 240s singlespeed freehubs look like they were not designed to be serviced - which is a distinct worry as they don't seem to be available as a replacement either ().

I was only able to remove the bearings as the outer one had partially disintegrated, allowing me to remove the inner race of the outer bearing and tap the inner bearing out from the outside in. Then I removed the remaining outer race of the outer bearing using a vice and a perfectly sized socket.

You see, there is small spacer in between the two bearings, but it is part of the freehub body itself, thus preventing the removal of either bearing unless one is destroyed.

I was just lucky that one bearing had disintegrated.

Bearings are 6802RS.

·
Registered
272 Posts
PhilGau said:
Ok.. I got the bearings out, but the process is not as simple as with the ordinary freehub.

In fact the 240s singlespeed freehubs look like they were not designed to be serviced - which is a distinct worry as they don't seem to be available as a replacement either ().

I was only able to remove the bearings as the outer one had partially disintegrated, allowing me to remove the inner race of the outer bearing and tap the inner bearing out from the outside in. Then I removed the remaining outer race of the outer bearing using a vice and a perfectly sized socket.

You see, there is small spacer in between the two bearings, but it is part of the freehub body itself, thus preventing the removal of either bearing unless one is destroyed.

I was just lucky that one bearing had disintegrated.

Bearings are 6802RS.
I also did replace the bearings but now when I torque the bolts of the rear wheel to the frame the freehub do not rotate freely, I do have the spacer installed betwen the bearings but seems to be not enough.
Any idea about what´s happening? :confused:

·
Registered
17 Posts
Is this with the singlespeed hub?

If so, yes I had the exact same problem. Once torqued up the wheel wouldn't turn!

It had me stumped, and also my friends at my local bike shop. In the end I ordered a new freehub at great expense! :madmax:

But I think it should be repairable. So you are using the small metal spacer in between the two bearings? Is it possible the spacer is worn down or damaged?

I can have another look at my functioning freehub if that would help. I would like to get to the bottom of this so I have a spare freehub.

·
Registered
272 Posts
Looks like we are uin the same boat. If you can take a look at your new freehub and find something that help, please let me know, I think that the alloy spacer coud be damaged during the process of take the old bearing off. Were did you get your new freehub and how much did you paid??
If I find a problem I will let you know for sure :thumbsup:

·
Registered
6 Posts
What method are you guys using to remove the freehub on the SS bolt-on hub? Special tools or just a solid bit of pulling with an axle vise? I'm trying to lube the star ratchet before it explodes or seizes.

Any help is greatly appreciated

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.