Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Whilst adjusting the external rebound on a new set of 08 Recons the knob came off in my hand. It seems quite loose and made me wonder if this is likely to come off unintentionally out on the trails. Anyone had this happen ? I was thinking about keeping it off and only inserting it when I had to adjust the setting, is there any harm in this ?

thanks

·
noMAD man
12,220 Posts
Is there a set screw or such retaining the knob? My Revelation rebound knob doesn't have any, but it doesn't appear to be coming off either. As far as keeping it in your Camelback, that may depend on what's left out in the open where your rebound cart comes out of the bottom of the leg. The '06 Marz 66SL was known for losing its compression adjuster knob from the bottom of the leg. I removed mine and then shielded the cartridge extension with a hose clamp and sturdy piece of heavy duty fuel line. I can still access that extension if necessary, but after finding my tuning preference, I haven't had to use it since. Do you have a pic of what the end of your cart looks like sticking out of the fork leg without the knob?

Attachments

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The adjuster is held in place by friction alone. Once in place I presume it engages a thread which turns the damper setting. I guess I could just put a bit of tape round it to hold it there.

Seems an odd design though as on long rides there is always the chance it could vibrate free.

Hopefully the picture isn't too blurred !

Attachments

·
on my 3rd wind...
1,827 Posts
O-ring on the pix should keep it tight enuff. My RS forks have same setup but never lost them while riding. I just make sure after I turn the rebound knob (mostly in ccw), I push the red knob back into the fork so it's fully seated. When you turn the rebound knob from fully closed to fully open position, you will see what I mean.

·
noMAD man
12,220 Posts
SingleTrack is probably right, but I'd be tempted to put that adjuster in my water pack or seat bag if you have one. Then in my traditional belt-and-suspenders approach, I'd cover that cart end with a rubber cap from a hardware store.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts