Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Banned
1,167 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Curious if anyone already knows. I've sent the same Q to L-B, though I don't anticipate a response from them until after the weekend. Thanks.

·
Banned
1,167 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Great, thanks for the replies. I also emailed Nancy and Kartrin, who got back to me in short order. Indeed, wheel spoke tension is 100-120 kgf. To quote Kartrin:

For the spoke length, please check below link. You can use below link and choose the hubs, and key for ERD. Then you will get the spoke length. Please find attached cross-section drawing for the rim.
#1 Wheel Building SPOKE CALCULATOR Now Online | PROWHEELBUILDER

For the 29er rims, the maximum spoke&nipples tension is 180kgf .
A. Tension for "transportation riders" (Comfortability)
80-90kgf are ideal for regular transporation riders or exercise on a regular basis.
B. Tension for "enthusiast riders" (Balance)
100-110kgf are good for people with enjoyful and training purpose.
C. Tension for "professional riders" (Performance)
120-130kgf are charged for riders who are expertized in riding or competition.
the recommendation spoke tension is less than 130kgf

…Sounds like good advise to me.

·
transmitter~receiver
9,311 Posts
Great, thanks for the replies. I also emailed Nancy and Kartrin, who got back to me in short order. Indeed, wheel spoke tension is 100-120 kgf. To quote Kartrin:

For the spoke length, please check below link. You can use below link and choose the hubs, and key for ERD. Then you will get the spoke length. Please find attached cross-section drawing for the rim.
#1 Wheel Building SPOKE CALCULATOR Now Online | PROWHEELBUILDER
Don't use that calculator, it is garbage.
Use the DT Swiss calc.

For the 29er rims, the maximum spoke&nipples tension is 180kgf .
A. Tension for "transportation riders" (Comfortability)
80-90kgf are ideal for regular transporation riders or exercise on a regular basis.
B. Tension for "enthusiast riders" (Balance)
100-110kgf are good for people with enjoyful and training purpose.
C. Tension for "professional riders" (Performance)
120-130kgf are charged for riders who are expertized in riding or competition.
the recommendation spoke tension is less than 130kgf

…Sounds like good advise to me.
Sounds ridiculous to me. Why should spoke tension vary with type of riding? :eek:ut:

·
Banned
1,167 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Don't use that calculator, it is garbage.
Use the DT Swiss calc.

Ok, thanks. I will check it out.

Sounds ridiculous to me. Why should spoke tension vary with type of riding? :eek:ut:
Ya know, now that you mention, I wonder also. What I got out of it is that my wheel builder can set up the rims just like any other, since 120kgf is tension reference the shop has been using.

·
Registered
2,241 Posts
I prefer the DT Calculator as well but if you use Sapim 14mm or 16mm nipples you still need to do the calculations for 12mm DT nipples. For Wheelsmith and DT you can just put the actual nipple length.

I build and/or tension (on OEM spec wheels) to 130kgf on the front disc side and rear drive side. If a rim manufacturer recommends lower I will start at their max kgf then mount and inflate a tire on the rim and see how much tension drops. In one case with some Stans Flows the tension drop was alarming and I tensioned them up closer to 130kgf. With a tire mounted and inflated the tension was at or slightly below the recommend 90kgf. No other rims I've owned have experienced such a large tension drop and I imagine that issue was the reason they now recommend higher tension on their new Flow EX rims.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts