Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I'm new to full suspension biking. My wife and I decided to give it a leap and both bought Specialized Stumpy FSR Comps. We've been toying with the front (Fox Float 32) and rear (Fox Triad) PSIs and were wondering (knowing full well there are variances, personal preferences, etc.) what might be a decent PSI for us on front and rear to adjust before we go riding.
I'm 5' 11" and 160
She's 5' 6" and about 125

I'm hoping for some suggestions on PSI numbers for both of us, or at the very least, some layman's terms on what should go into my figuring out what it should be for each of us.

Much thanks!:thumbsup:

·
Super Moderator
20,810 Posts
The pressure varies from one model to the next... you should check you manual for a starter point....

I usually start with my weight in PSI and move from there until the right sag is achieved. Sag is the amount of travel that is used from the shock's stroke with you just sitting on the bike. Measure the distance of your shock's stroke (the golden looking part) and try to get it to compress about 25% when you sit still on the bike.... if it is over 25%, add a little air; if it less, let some air out.... you have to find out how YOU like it...

I hope this helps

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
crisillo said:
The pressure varies from one model to the next... you should check you manual for a starter point....

I usually start with my weight in PSI and move from there until the right sag is achieved. Sag is the amount of travel that is used from the shock's stroke with you just sitting on the bike. Measure the distance of your shock's stroke (the golden looking part) and try to get it to compress about 25% when you sit still on the bike.... if it is over 25%, add a little air; if it less, let some air out.... you have to find out how YOU like it...

I hope this helps
Yes, thanks very much. I initiatlly adjusted my sag and it seemed pretty good (I used the sagometer that came with the bike). After riding, it gave in a bit, so I suppose I'll just have to adjust before each time I ride.
For the front shocks - do you recommend the same compression - about 25%?

·
Super Moderator
20,810 Posts
momar said:
Yes, thanks very much. I initially adjusted my sag and it seemed pretty good (I used the sagometer that came with the bike). After riding, it gave in a bit, so I suppose I'll just have to adjust before each time I ride.
For the front shocks - do you recommend the same compression - about 25%?
Yeah.. I'd say around 25-30% should be fine...

about the shock giving in, the shock will become smoother as they "break in" so you might need to adjust pressure after a couple of rides... it will stabilize once they are well broken in...

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks, those were very helpful.

I'm especially impressed because the guy giving instructions sounded drunk, but still managed to convey the necessary information. :D

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.