Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have recently had this injury at Bike Park Wales. I landed a jump and as I've gone on to pedal on to the next one I found I was in the smaller ring at the front (2x10 setup) and my pedals just zipped around and this happened. Just felt like a scratch and didn't realise until I got down to the fire road. . Can anyone recommend any protection for my leg (inside right) when I eventually get back on my bike after skin graft has healed. Cheers
image.jpg

·
Always in the wrong gear
2,754 Posts
I'd recommend a bash guard on the crank, not leg protection.

Jesus, that's gnarly.

·
Registered
989 Posts
Holy crap dude, that makes me cringe a whole bunch! Anything, you need any kind of shin protection! That does not compare to any shin mash I've suffered from trialsing and what not, ugh. I've been using 661 soft knee shins that are a couple years old now I think. I like them because you don't have to remove shoes to put on/off. Reasonable protection against pedal strikes, but doesn't have hardshell so wont do a whole lot for a hard impact. Not totally hot like a hardshell would be. The fabric is thin on the back but I think it would have mitigated most of that zombie bite wound! Ugh ugh ugh, need to make this page and images go away, I'm a squeamish pansy!

·
Registered
989 Posts
And yeah, that bash ring suggestion is not bad idea, had one on my trials bike and prob would have helped in your case!

·
Registered
8,564 Posts
When I had 2 rings I always had a bash guard and this is one of the reasons.

·
Registered
989 Posts
My 2x shimano setup is actually a 3x crankset with pretty little chips for where the outer ring would have been so a bashing should be able to fit easily

·
Registered
1,653 Posts
After doing that, not as bad , I got Lizard Skins and only wore one on my rt leg. I later removed my big ring and run a bash guard

·
Registered
5,486 Posts
I did something similar (little less Sunday Horrors though) on my flats w/ pins...

I used a calf sock on that lower leg for a while...

-------------------------------------
Opinions are like A-holes... everybody
has one & they're usually full of...??

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Thanks for your help people. I've just realised this is not a UK website doh! Still, I have a few things to try out and will check out and see if I can get a bash guard on my current setup. I will probably wear protection as well as I know I will be a bit paranoid about it. Happy riding and I can't wait to get back on mine!

·
Registered
127 Posts
Good God that's a rough one. I'm going to look into the bash guard now too....! Hope things are ok!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

·
high pivot witchcraft
4,322 Posts
:eekster:

I ride clipped for everything on every bike, including my Operator. I have always worried about my feet coming off the pedals.

Anyway, I will never again whine about any of the scratches I get riding.

OP - I sincerely wish you the speediest of recoveries.

·
Registered
383 Posts
I have a nice set of scars on my leg in the same place as the OP from some chainring bite a few years ago. Clipped a pedal on the side of a small ravine I was riding down (kind of singletrack with banking both sides), fell forward onto the top tube and lost my pedal grip - my calf impacted the big chain ring. Luckily my calf 'moved around' with the ring as I was falling, so I just had a 40 cm line of equidistant deep 2cm cuts right down the inner part of my calf. *Nothing* like the pic though - good grief :s

I wore DH trousers for a while after - now I rock it Steve peat style with very long socks that go past mid calf :)

Heal up quick PURSEYP10, wishing you a speedy recuperation - you'll look back on the pics with pride one day! ;)

1 - 20 of 39 Posts