Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Fo' Bidniz in da haus
17,282 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My tires on the rigid Surly are ready to be retired (2.4 Motoraptor / 2.3 Vert Pro). They were only ok once the rigid fork went on and I definitely want some more "baloony" tires as replacements now that the suspension fork will not be used at all for this bike. So what is the concensus on good tires in this regard?

Thanks in advance,
FoShizzle

·
Registered
3,931 Posts
FoShizzle said:
My tires on the rigid Surly are ready to be retired (2.4 Motoraptor / 2.3 Vert Pro). They were only ok once the rigid fork went on and I definitely want some more "baloony" tires as replacements now that the suspension fork will not be used at all for this bike. So what is the concensus on good tires in this regard?

Thanks in advance,
FoShizzle
Panaracer Megablaster 2.5 nice balloons
Continental Diesel 2.5 heavier :-(
Kenda Nevagal 2.35 nice traction in back will be looking for 2.5's in front

now get out and ride!

·
Not because I'm fast.....
748 Posts
FoShizzle said:

Thanks in advance,
FoShizzle
Was the 2.4 Motoraptor on the front or rear of your SURLY? If it was on the rear, try it on the front and I think you'll like it. Tani at The Path got me hooked on it as a front tire for my geared hardtail years ago for SoCal terrain.

I have also used the 2.5 Weirwolf that was pretty good too. I have tried a few others, but keep coming back to the Motoraptor on the SS. It works well for Colorado terrain too.

·
Registered
29 Posts
i'm running a Kenda Kentics 2.35 (front) and a Ritchey Speedmax (2.1) rear. I also switched to a Easton carbon bar. i like the setup_switched to this after dealing with wrist issues. that should take out a bit of the "bang" in the front end.

·
Registered
1,131 Posts
Dual wall, wire bead Maxxis Mobster 2.7 DH front; 16 psi. (1600g)

Wire bead Conti Diesel 2.5 rear; 20 psi. (1100g)

·
SS Pusher Man
7,623 Posts
SDizzle said:
Dual wall, wire bead Maxxis Mobster 2.7 DH front; 16 psi. (1600g)
I agree.....I ran this same tire on my Surly 1x1. At low pressure it gives you about 1" of suspension.

mtnibkej

·
Registered
59 Posts
2farfwd said:
Was the 2.4 Motoraptor on the front or rear of your SURLY? If it was on the rear, try it on the front and I think you'll like it. Tani at The Path got me hooked on it as a front tire for my geared hardtail years ago for SoCal terrain.

I have also used the 2.5 Weirwolf that was pretty good too. I have tried a few others, but keep coming back to the Motoraptor on the SS. It works well for Colorado terrain too.
I second the 2.4 Motoraptor in the front, it's what I run on my rigid Surly.

·
Fo' Bidniz in da haus
17,282 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
pacman said:
Panaracer Megablaster 2.5 nice balloons
Continental Diesel 2.5 heavier :-(
Kenda Nevagal 2.35 nice traction in back will be looking for 2.5's in front

now get out and ride!
thanks.....I will look into it. I think this morning's ride in Sycamore will be my last on the current treads....

cheers

·
Registered
354 Posts
Nokian nbx

FoShizzle said:

Thanks in advance,
FoShizzle
I run dh nbx, 2.3 1000g in rear, and 2.5 front 1200-1300 grams, at about 17-18 psi front and 20-22 psi rear, this is on my heavy monocog. I run the nbx 2.3 kevlar bead front and rear , on my 03 unit, these weigh about 650g, and are run at about 28-35psi. These tires are good all around tires, the dh version is a good no compramise, super cushey, tire. The xc version is a good compramise for a good light fairly big tire, not as cushie as the dh version but they roll a lot faster. They even work ok in mud but can get a little bit squirlly if the mud is gooey and thick, but still much better than any wtb tires in mud or on wet roots. The nbx is a more rounded profile tire than the gazzalodi and seems to stick in the corners, better than my friend, who sometimes goes goes off trail at inopertune times.
The 2.3 is a little bit on the small side, but still is fairly tough and cushie.
PS, if putting the dh nbx on a ryno lite rim, get 2 pedros DH levers, and buy some extra tubes just in case, or get the lbs do it.

·
Registered
2,815 Posts
Tires

If you want to keep it light the 2.4 Mutano's a great choice especially in the front. Conti 2.3 vert pro's are a good rear tire but you tried that so if you can find them the Schwalbe Racing Ralphs are good rear tires; the 2.25 weighed 512g on my scale with a claimed weight on the pack of 545g. The 2.4 claimed weight is 590g. If you don't care about weight and rolling resistance the Panaracer firepro 2.4 (looks bigger) is like velcro for soft dirt and the 2.35 Kenda Kinetics sticky rubber grip great on all serfaces I've tried and arent too heavy.

·
Sugary Exoskeleton
4,657 Posts
Kenda.

Kenda Cortez DTC 2.4 is a good SoCal gravel and hardpack tire. I have been loving mine on my Fool Rigid Singlespeed. I run about 30-35psi and it grips in the Santa Monicas like a grippy gripping thing at a gripping contest.

On the back I run another Cortez, but Chuky and PacMan run the 2.35 Nevegal. I haven't tried that one yet, but they say nice things about them.

JMH

·
Fo' Bidniz in da haus
17,282 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
JMH said:
Kenda Cortez DTC 2.4 is a good SoCal gravel and hardpack tire. I have been loving mine on my Fool Rigid Singlespeed. I run about 30-35psi and it grips in the Santa Monicas like a grippy gripping thing at a gripping contest.

On the back I run another Cortez, but Chuky and PacMan run the 2.35 Nevegal. I haven't tried that one yet, but they say nice things about them.

JMH
Thanks JMH, that is exactly what I run on my Ventana. I love that combo so much on that bike (for SoCal as well) that I think I will buy a pair for the Surly. They are just great tires.....super fast rolling for size and relatively light (about 680 grams). I am kina interested in the Nevegal but will probably just go with the proven thing.

cheers

·
Fo' Bidniz in da haus
17,282 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
pacman said:
Hijack! Did the trail workers clear the P.O. from Guadalasco, Backbone, or anything else?
the only trail workers I saw were right at the bottom of the black asphalt hill on the left on the hikers trail.....though we went down backbone and not Guadalasco. However, Backbone was still so overgrown that you could barely see the trail in front of you so I cannot imagine anything has been done on it as of yet. I plan to hit Guadalasco later this week...

cheers

·
Registered
569 Posts
TimberWolf!

The 2.5 TimberWolf from WTB is the cats a$$ for a rig sans springs. I have been using one for about a year and it is cush, sticky and rolls well. For rocky stuff it has been rokkin! I have used a Gazzi 2.6 that was stickier/cushier, but for XC applications, give the 'Wolf a go...just do not pump it up to much, cuz it'll bounce around and may knock you offline.

giv'er

·
Expert Pushing SSer
1,503 Posts
FoShizzle said:

Thanks in advance,
FoShizzle
Have the Panaracer 2.4 Fire FR and really like its ability to soak up stuff. I run around 25 psi on a mavic x317. It has large blocks and grips with confidence here in the PNW. It sheds mud ok, not a mud tire. Great in the dry, rooty, rocky crap though. A little on the heavy side. Like the WTB Timberwolf (which I would love to check into) the blocks are HUGE. Looks like something from a motorcycle.

Mike

1 - 20 of 35 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.