Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

· Registered
1,712 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I started mtn biking years ago, but at this point I haven't been on the mtn bike or a real trail for more than 2 years. Between some aggravating injuries including tearing both meniscuses (meniscii?) and back and foot stuff, and more than an entire lost season due to widespread fires and thick smoke, I just haven't been able to get out the fun bike. But, at this point the left knee is good enough - about 85% - that I can ride without serious physical limitations and it is time for me to get my arse back out there. The weather is great and the sky is clear. Here's what I have and where I am.

I am in good shape, but not peak yet.
I'm not young and fearless but reasonable tech is okay.
My fundamental skills should still be mostly intact but are going to need some sharpening.
Climbing good, downhill good, but not really ready for serious gnar or chop yet.
My sole bike at this point is a semi-aggressive hardtail with a 120 Pike. No dropper at the moment.

Any recommendations on a good break-in/intro trail to hit and start getting back in the saddle? I thought San Tan might be a good start. Anything else in the valley that you recommend to start jumping back in?

· Registered
1,425 Posts
McDowels, Estrella, or White Tank Comp Loops are all pretty basic XC trails. They have a few rock gardens here and there, but nothing that a hardtail can't handle.

There's sections of the Maricopa Trail that are good smooth single track.

Lake Pleasant is pretty tame, with a few faster sections.

· Registered
222 Posts
San Tan is a good start. It’s not too flat but not to techy or big climbs. If you just want to pedal in some dirt with gradual inclines, go to Usery park. It has gradual inclines and could be good for recovery rides. From Usery you can head across Ellsworth to Hawes and get a bit more difficult.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

· Registered
5,813 Posts
San Tan is good as is browns ranch area. Start there and gain confidence and move to other places as time goes on. I have ridden San Tan once, but Browns many times. Even for experience riders Browns is fun and there is low speed tech if you know where to look.

· Black and Sticky
768 Posts

· Elitest thrill junkie
41,092 Posts
Hawes is a great mix of trails. You sound like you can handle more than Desert Classic by the description.

· Registered
1,712 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I ended up running around San Tank park. Did a random loop that included parts of Goldmine, Dynamite, and Hedgehog. At first running the San Tan trail I though it might kind of suck, as it had washy sand in a lot of areas but it ended up getting reasonably fun once I left that trail. I attempted to climb Goldmine right past the graves and did pretty well considering, but I'm not in top condition yet so cleaning that is a few months out. Going back down that stretch was interesting with no dropper. The rest of the climbs were low test, no trouble at all. Skills and fitness will be back in full form soon enough and I'm going to have to get into the grittier stuff soon. Need to get a dropper on order too.

· Registered
222 Posts
I ended up running around San Tank park. Did a random loop that included parts of Goldmine, Dynamite, and Hedgehog. At first running the San Tan trail I though it might kind of suck, as it had washy sand in a lot of areas but it ended up getting reasonably fun once I left that trail. I attempted to climb Goldmine right past the graves and did pretty well considering, but I'm not in top condition yet so cleaning that is a few months out. Going back down that stretch was interesting with no dropper. The rest of the climbs were low test, no trouble at all. Skills and fitness will be back in full form soon enough and I'm going to have to get into the grittier stuff soon. Need to get a dropper on order too.
I usually turn right on to Dynamite and go around that way.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

· DFMBA.org
1,942 Posts
Pemberton Trail is a nice, long scenic loop in northeast Scottsdale. Not techy at all but there are some climbs to get your blood pumping.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.