Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I bought my 9yr a RM Growler Jr 26+ a couple of months ago and the XCM suspension on it is terrible - super heavy and next to impossible for him to press on. He only weighs 60lbs. Based on this I'd like to upgrade the suspension to something that is lighter and adjustable, something like the Rockshox Sektor rl. What would you recommend?

·
Registered
911 Posts
In looking at the specs of the Growler and the fork, it appears that the XCM34 used on that bike is likely the 27.5" model. This is basically a boat anchor 7.5 lbs coil fork. Just about any lighter 27.5" boost air fork will be an improvement.

It appears you could run a Manitou Machete 27.5 at 120mm and keep a pretty close A2C (511mm down from 518mm). You'd also cut 3.35 lbs of weight. The fork is also upgradable to the ABS+ damper and you can change out the top out spring for a light weight model more suitable to lighter kids. All in, you'll probably blow past your budget. ($425 fork, $128 damper, $8 spring.)

However, with as light as your kid is, you can probably get away with the smaller stanchion (30mm) 27.5" Markhor. (My son is about 70 lbs and does just fine with a stock 26" Markhor, but it is not available with a tapered steerer or boost spacing.) The fork has the same damper and spring upgrade options. The Markhor is just 16g heavier than the Machete and the A2C is 514mm @ 120mm of travel. Pricing on the Markhor is a little better at $315 and the damper is $96. The top out spring is the same cost.

The problem you're likely to run into is availability. I'd also reach out to @Dougal to see if he has any insight on replacement options.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks Rton. Trust me I know how hard supply is. Waiting on a Stumpjumper for 5 months and most likely won't get it until May of next year. For my son's suspension, I was thinking there might be something on PinkBike, if I know what to look for. I'll check out both the Markhor and the Machete. And yes, his is a 27.5 fork.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.