Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am just getting into Mountain biking. I am 6'2 210 and in good shape. Some of the things I am lloking for are:

29er
A decent fork w/ Lockout option
Disc brakes
No more than $1200

I have ridden quite a few bikes and the 2 I like the best so far are a 2010 Felt nine comp, and a 2011 GF Cobia. Both are right at a grand at LBS. I also plan on riding a couple Giants. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

·
Banned
19,198 Posts
Try out a Giant XTC , then pick out the one that fit you the best . Try to spend as much time on them as possible , maybe consider renting for a day if possible . They are all excellent picks , it will come down to you preference . Good luck .

·
up n over
407 Posts
Boss man at southriver outfitters in Fla is 6'2" (or +1")
I fit him on a 23" rockhopper and it was perfect.
5'8"-5'10"= 17"
5'11"-6'= 19"
6'-6'2"= 21" (he may be 6'3")
6'2"-6'5"= 23" (inseam matters)
Its a big bike but fits him well.
He has his 2009 (just got an '11) frame for sale its a SS but u can get a hanger for it pretty easily.
PM me if there is any interest..

·
Registered
24,083 Posts
To the OP, as advised, try to get some test rides in on as many bikes as you can, test both Large and XL frame sizes as you should be somewhere in that ballpark fit wise, go with what fits and feels best. Sticking to something your local shop can provide is normally a good idea on your first bike as they'll be able to provide tune ups and service/warranty when and if needed.

WOW, nice flat out shill there dude and where do you work, what's the name of the shop? Wana advertise, take out an add AND do as the guidelines say and put it in your SIG.
elsewhere said:
Boss man at southriver outfitters in Fla is 6'2" (or +1")
I fit him on a 23" rockhopper and it was perfect.
5'8"-5'10"= 17"
5'11"-6'= 19"
6'-6'2"= 21" (he may be 6'3")
6'2"-6'5"= 23" (inseam matters)
Its a big bike but fits him well.
He has his 2009 (just got an '11) frame for sale its a SS but u can get a hanger for it pretty easily.
PM me if there is any interest..

·
up n over
407 Posts
He sells kayaks NOT bikes, and I gave no web address or contact info.
I worked there selling BOATS as well as a HUGE LBS which I DID NOT mention the name of.
I now live in ND and work at yet ANOTHER LBS yet AGAIN unmentioned.
All I did was share knowledge.
Go flame someone who deserves it.

·
Registered
3,886 Posts
Try a bike that is on sale right now. Most shop still have a couple left over from last year. You can look for about 25 % min. savings from listed price.

If you time it right, you can get a $1500 bike for 1200. That would be kickass.

Check out a specialized Rockhopper. Yes, they are a big company, and you can't buy much parts easily from anything but specialized, but for a first bike, you really wont notice much of a difference upgrading anyways, unless you have been riding bike forever in your past life.:thumbsup:

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Okay, first off thanks for all the help/advice. I think peer review is one of the best tools at our disposal. Second, I rode a 2010 Giant XTC 2 and LOVED it! I rode the Specialized RH but wasn't in love with it. Now here is what I am looking at with the prices from LBS listed next to them.

2010 Giant XTC 2 $1125
2010 Felt Nine Comp $987
2011 GF Cobia $999

Can't wait to get one just terrified of choosing.

·
Registered
24,083 Posts
Easy, as AZ said, ride them all again and go with the one that you like the most, because if you don't you'll always be wondering, "What if?" and there's not a whole lot of difference in price there to be doing that for ;)

oden_sparks said:
Okay, first off thanks for all the help/advice. I think peer review is one of the best tools at our disposal. Second, I rode a 2010 Giant XTC 2 and LOVED it! I rode the Specialized RH but wasn't in love with it. Now here is what I am looking at with the prices from LBS listed next to them.

2010 Giant XTC 2 $1125
2010 Felt Nine Comp $987
2011 GF Cobia $999

Can't wait to get one just terrified of choosing.

·
Registered
13 Posts
I love my Cannondale Caffeine 29er, which I bought used here in MTBR's classified section. Best purchase I ever made: I got it for roughly 2/3 the original price and it's a much better bike than something I could have bought new for the same amount of money. Buy used!

·
turtles make me hot
11,663 Posts
4x4runner said:
23?

as in frame size?

i'm an inch taller than the OP (6'3") and ride a 19" frame.
I agree. The 23 is for guys 6'5 plus. I'm 6'4" with a 35" inseam and Im on an XL or 21" bike. I asked for a 23 and they all advised against it.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.