Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
316 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys,

I'm new here to the forums but not new to MTB'ing. I used to have an Iron Horse Full Suspension bike but after an injury I was forced to sell it.

Now that I'm healthy, I've been getting the itch to start biking again but I have been out of it so long that I'm not sure which is the 'go to' brand for a new bike. I am willing to spend up to 3,000 (complete bike).

- Hard Tail
- 29'er
- 3000.00 budget

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

·
Registered
973 Posts
you should have no problem finding finding HT 29er bike to match your needs and wallet... :cool: start with a comfortable frame and then build it the highest spec possible...I am sure other folks will chime in here, so I will agree with them that you should stay away from Sram/Avid hyd brakes...you really have all the options available to you. What brands do your LBS sell...:confused:

Attachments

·
Registered
14,046 Posts
At this level demoing on trail is pretty helpful.
The Trek Superfly 9.6 with some upgrades has a newly designed carbon frame with road bike compliance, trail feel and quick steering but stable downhill handling. The geo is better than the SF 9.9 released last year.

·
Short-Change-Hero
6,533 Posts
That is quite the budget to work with. Like the others have said, go for your LBS and start demoing bikes like made. Look at the geometry of your old bike (see bikepedia) and see if you can get something that is similar (if you loved the bike).

Also, what are you looking at doing with the bike?
What kind of trails?
Terrain?
Riding style (previously)?
Preference of HT over FS?

You are going to be able to get a really good bike for what you are looking at but then again you could always save some of the money, still get a good bike and spend the rest on other toys. Up to you.

·
Registered
1,462 Posts
Hey guys,

I'm new here to the forums but not new to MTB'ing. I used to have an Iron Horse Full Suspension bike but after an injury I was forced to sell it.

Now that I'm healthy, I've been getting the itch to start biking again but I have been out of it so long that I'm not sure which is the 'go to' brand for a new bike. I am willing to spend up to 3,000 (complete bike).

- Hard Tail
- 29'er
- 3000.00 budget

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!
There are many good choices around your budget. Check out what's available on your LBS, demo everything you can and see what fits. That's all you need to do :)

·
Registered
292 Posts
I recently got a 2013 BMC TE02 that I'm really liking. I struggled with the HT/FS question for a while when I was bike shopping. Ultimately what decided it was a great deal I got on the BMC. I've ridden several other HT 29er's and the BMC blows them away in regard to compliance and overall comfort. No, it's not a FS bike and won't be mistaken for one but I've encountered few spots so far where I really wished for a FS bike. 98% of the time, I'm very glad I'm on a HT. I think the SLX build TE02 would come in at your price range. Check one out if you can.

·
Registered
316 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I will mostly be doing trail riding (a lot of narrow paths, down hill and rough terrain). I rode about five times a week with at least 3-4 hours of ride time when I went out. So I'm definitely looking for something reliable and lighter than my previous bike. My previous bike was full suspension and there were times where I struggled getting up hills with loamy dirt....plus I want to try something new.

I've been looking at Santa Cruz HighBall Carbon bikes which appear to have great specs. There are so many different options to choose from so I just guidance on what would be the best to choose.

Here is a chart on their website.

Santa Cruz Bicycles Highball Carbon

That is quite the budget to work with. Like the others have said, go for your LBS and start demoing bikes like made. Look at the geometry of your old bike (see bikepedia) and see if you can get something that is similar (if you loved the bike).

Also, what are you looking at doing with the bike?
What kind of trails?
Terrain?
Riding style (previously)?
Preference of HT over FS?

You are going to be able to get a really good bike for what you are looking at but then again you could always save some of the money, still get a good bike and spend the rest on other toys. Up to you.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts