Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys,

Does anyone use bar ends anymore? I was thinking of getting a set (carbon fiber?) to make climbing easier and just to have another hand rest position. I'm not looking for ones with the long handles, but prefer the short stumpy looking ones. I've seen mostly ones where they are attached using a screw, but I thought i've seen ones where they are more integrated with the handle bar? Recommendations?

Any suggestions or recommendations would be great appreciated. Thanks! :)

·
Registered
290 Posts
Take your pick. As far as I'm concerned, they're all the same. I used to have the huge no-name dorky L-bend ones. They worked great, but they were huge!

All they do is give you a little more leverage while climbing...which can be great, but I do fine without them these days. For touring, the big-dorky-L-bend ones offer more hand positions for extended riding.

You can also find what are called "alt bars". This is a slightly more expensive route (well....you have to buy brand new bars and swap everything over...provided your shifters/brake levers are the open-clamp type). Kind of like the Jones H-Bar:

·
Registered
3,061 Posts
Arrwin said:
Hey guys,

Does anyone use bar ends anymore? I was thinking of getting a set (carbon fiber?) to make climbing easier and just to have another hand rest position. I'm not looking for ones with the long handles, but prefer the short stumpy looking ones. I've seen mostly ones where they are attached using a screw, but I thought i've seen ones where they are more integrated with the handle bar? Recommendations?

Any suggestions or recommendations would be great appreciated. Thanks! :)
In the past, I've used (and liked) the LP Composites Grips. FWIW, I don't like stubby bar ends. I want something that I can grip with my entire hand.

I've also tried the Cane Creek Ergo Bar Ends. I hated them. Unlike the Grips, the Cane Creek bar ends do not curve inwards and therefore do not provide a very restful alternate hand position.

Now that I use a Titec H-Bar, I don't use bar ends any longer. I like the H-Bar better for short bursts of out of the saddle climbing because my hands are in a better position for levering the bike back and forth. As MrMook shows in his post, there are a number of different hand positions available.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.