Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
165 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
ive posted this at ridemonkey already..but i just want so more opinions
i have nearly finished builiding my Sunday Factory (yellow) and now i just want to change minor stuff e.g. changing seat and chage my post to carbon...
i really really dig seats that are thin and white( roadie style..see pic below courtsy of threepointtow)..i m thinking of buying the exact same one..but i just wanna see if anyone know some other seats that are like that so i get more choices...and which brand and model carbon post should i get?
and lastly...carbon handlebars or leave them alone...(if so..what brand and model should i get)

thanks alot guys..

KC

Attachments

·
Registered
5,396 Posts
TurnerDHRider said:
ive posted this at ridemonkey already..but i just want so more opinions
i have nearly finished builiding my Sunday Factory (yellow) and now i just want to change minor stuff e.g. changing seat and chage my post to carbon...
i really really dig seats that are thin and white( roadie style..see pic below courtsy of threepointtow)..i m thinking of buying the exact same one..but i just wanna see if anyone know some other seats that are like that so i get more choices...and which brand and model carbon post should i get?
and lastly...carbon handlebars or leave them alone...(if so..what brand and model should i get)

thanks alot guys..

KC
i'd stay away from carbon (not so much the seatpost, but the handlebars). i've heard bad things...

·
Registered
683 Posts
The reason you get carbon is not because it's strong, but because for its weight, it's strong.

The only bike I would ride with a carbon seatpost is a road bike or a lightweight XC bike. I would not put anything carbon fibre on a DH/FR bike because 1) it cannot be repaired and 2) I would be concerned about it cracking/splitting on impact.

Theoretical impact, of course. I never crash.
(hahahahahaha... couldn't say it with a straight face)

-sunny :cool:

·
SNOWRIDER
1,564 Posts
shiggy said:
The LAST thing I would use on a FR/DH bike is a carbon seat post.
When it breaks you will have a nice sharp pointy shaft staring up at you.
Man I agree with that!!
Bars would be scary as well.

The only carbon on my bike is the brake levers and that fine with me :D

·
Registered
1,189 Posts
hmm

carbon is bad for FR/ DH bikes. u might as well reserve a room at the hospital right away cuz they will be picking thousands of tiny slivers outa your ying yang. i shiver at the thought of it

·
Registered
585 Posts
Selle Italia Flite Gel... I use one on my heckler and really like it. It is light and thin so I can use my small arse legs and get behind the bike easier. It also comes in several colors... White, Black (on my heckler), Yellow, Blue, and Red...

·
Registered
165 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Something Clever... said:
Selle Italia Flite Gel... I use one on my heckler and really like it. It is light and thin so I can use my small arse legs and get behind the bike easier. It also comes in several colors... White, Black (on my heckler), Yellow, Blue, and Red...
yeah..i just went to the website...and i thought Flite Gel in white looks mad..great minds think alike!!! ;)

·
Registered
165 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
wat about Storika hi-tech by selle italia...or m i just taking it too far and its purly a roadie seat?..how do i tell the difference bewteen a raod and a mtb seat?

·
Registered
3,669 Posts
as far as carbon handlebars goes, the Carbon OS Protaper would be my reccomendation and with seat posts id just go a Thomson Elite, or Masterpiece if your that fussy on saving weight...

and San Marco, Selle Italia make too many seats to mention so im sure youll find heaps that appela to you, only thing is though there costly, yet you seem to have no struggles in that department...

when we seeing bulit pics...

·
Registered
165 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
BJ- said:
as far as carbon handlebars goes, the Carbon OS Protaper would be my reccomendation and with seat posts id just go a Thomson Elite, or Masterpiece if your that fussy on saving weight...

and San Marco, Selle Italia make too many seats to mention so im sure youll find heaps that appela to you, only thing is though there costly, yet you seem to have no struggles in that department...

when we seeing bulit pics...
haha..well...ive been selling stuff to get the money for the bike...anyway..i will be recieving my wheel tomorrow and should see some pics by tomorow arvo..hopefuly...
and by the way...are San Marco and Selle Italia road seat makers or are the seats multi purpose(i.e. could be used as mtb and raod)

KC

·
Registered
3,669 Posts
TurnerDHRider said:
haha..well...ive been selling stuff to get the money for the bike...anyway..i will be recieving my wheel tomorrow and should see some pics by tomorow arvo..hopefuly...
and by the way...are San Marco and Selle Italia road seat makers or are the seats multi purpose(i.e. could be used as mtb and raod)

KC
they are road seat makers, but i guess you could call them kind of multipurpose at the same time; light enough for road, strong enough for downhilling...

to me i think there the ideal seats, light as anything and strong as hell...

man im looking forward to seeing the build, the frame looks too sick...

·
Registered
429 Posts
I Agree...

I agree with everyone else; stay away from carbon on a DH bike. The problem with carbon is that it will not bend or crack--it just breaks! I would say get the Thompson seat post and some Easton bars--better safe than sorry.

As for the seat, that's up to you. Personally, I had a lightwight xc seat on my DH bike, and it did not last very long. I just don't think an expensive, light, seat should be on a DH bike...

·
Uhhhhh...
2,894 Posts
WWT said:
I agree with everyone else; stay away from carbon on a DH bike. The problem with carbon is that it will not bend or crack--it just breaks! I would say get the Thompson seat post and some Easton bars--better safe than sorry.

As for the seat, that's up to you. Personally, I had a lightwight xc seat on my DH bike, and it did .not last very long. I just don't think an expensive, light, seat should be on a DH bike..
Aluminium breaks/snaps in the same way as carbon, minus the carbon shreds.

·
Team Sanchez
4,369 Posts
I personally have broken 2 Easton Carbon Fiber seatposts, and those were on XC bikes. The problem is, if you lower and raise your seat during rides, it starts to wear thin the wall of the CF, and the next thing you know, your grabbin your cornhole, remembering why you don't want to ever spend anytime in prison.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.