Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
740 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Looking for some very small diameter foam grips for a Bontrager carbon fiber bar. Hands are really small so trying to take the fatigue out of the equation. Always had trouble with hammers and drills trying to find the smallest diameter grips. This is exaggerated when wearing Winter gloves.

Thanks

·
Registered
286 Posts
I have small hands and went with Fyxation grips. Not much else that you can do, except maybe bar mitts so you can wear thinner gloves/mitts.

·
Registered
740 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·

·
Registered
740 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I have small hands and went with Fyxation grips. Not much else that you can do, except maybe bar mitts so you can wear thinner gloves/mitts.
Picked up Bar Mitts already, and even the summer gloves on regular grips sometimes prove to be a little wide.

Thanks I'll look up Fyxation grips.

·
Registered
286 Posts
About the only thing you can do is to try to find smaller diameter bars .. kids bars?

Have you checked with your LBS for suggestions?

·
Registered
740 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
About the only thing you can do is to try to find smaller diameter bars .. kids bars?

Have you checked with your LBS for suggestions?
The bars I have a small enough, just need a fairly thin grip.

Thanks

·
Registered
887 Posts
Some BMX style grips are fairly thin. Rubber track grips might do the trick with some trimming. Bar tape might be the best bet. Your carbon bars shouldn't be as much of a heat sink as aluminum or steel, so they may not be too cold after all.

·
drev-il, not Dr. Evil!
3,910 Posts
The Juliana bars and matching grips are smaller diameter. https://shop.julianabicycles.com/parts-and-tools.html

ESI's (as mentioned below) are comfy silicone. I get the chunky's though.
I was wondering if a smaller diameter bar (at the grip area) was possible because my wife is smaller with smaller hands also. I just thought that all MTB shifter and brake lever clamps set for 22.2 mm? I guess a shim could be used for both of those, but a normal grip would be pretty loose (and dangerous).

https://www.bikeman.com/bicycle-repair-tech-info/bikeman-tech-info/1637-handlebar-diameters

·
7,758 Posts
^^ Yeah, you have to buy the Juliana grips to fit on their bar correctly. Not sure if they have to use anything special to make shifters and brakes fit on it. Maybe they widen out to normal for that part of the bar, or maybe they can just snug up the clamps more. A Santa Cruz dealer would know.

Oh, here's more info from a review:
The most noticeable of all these features is the handlebar that isn’t just fit with thinner grips, but actually reduces in diameter at the handlebar ends. I’ve never considered my hands particularly dainty, so I was wary of the narrow gauge bar. After 20 years riding standard handlebars, at first I felt the way Andre the Giant must have felt when holding a can of beer. But after a few rides, I forgot about the handlebar altogether. Instead, what I noticed was that the ache I get where my thumb and forefinger wrap around the handlebar never materialized. I’d like a few more rides before I run out and switch all my bars, but there may be something to this smaller-diameter handlebar. So far, my less-than-dainty hands agree.
from Juliana Launches Four New Models

·
Registered
740 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Looks like I'll do the racer's edge (ESI), and get some gel tape.

Already have my carbon bar, and it shouldn't transfer the cold like an alloy.

Thanks to all.

·
Registered
401 Posts
SQ Labs makes grips in sizes they have a fit sheet to size them. I like them a ton.

·
Registered
740 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Just ordered the ESI Racer's edge. Hopefully should be a good fit.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts