Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Dear Forum Members:

I would like some recommendations for an indoor spinning bike. I have long legs (34-36 inseam) 6' 4.5" and I am creeping towards 260 lbs. This will be for 1-2 hours of daily use everyday. What should I look for; what should I avoid; how much should I or expected to spend. Please give the merits of certain features over others and why you like them. If at all possible I would like it to last at least 2-3 years before it calls it quits. Thanks in advance.

Sohei

·
Official ***** Idiot
333 Posts
sohei said:
Dear Forum Members:

I would like some recommendations for an indoor spinning bike. I have long legs (34-36 inseam) 6' 4.5" and I am creeping towards 260 lbs. This will be for 1-2 hours of daily use everyday. What should I look for; what should I avoid; how much should I or expected to spend. Please give the merits of certain features over others and why you like them. If at all possible I would like it to last at least 2-3 years before it calls it quits. Thanks in advance.

Sohei
Have you considered an indoor trainer, like a CycleOps Mag + ? $199 or less, toss your regular bike on it (road slick is best on the rear tire for that one) and spin away on the bike you're used to? I've got one for use primarily in the winter, since I do a lot of riding in the summer as a matter of course. I think Minoura makes one that clamps to the braking surface on your rims, but it'd be useless if you have disk specific rims.

I'll look tomorrow, I like the spinner my physical therapist has me on, more mountain-bikey than most others. Probably hideously expensive, though. Has multi-user programming, a bunch of readouts for cadence, workout level, resistance, that sort of thing. Nice thing is it has three preprogrammed training modes, track, hill, and random, which mixes the first two. For something similar, you're looking at a minimum $1500. Or go with ye olde wind resistance, like $500 to start, not really much to go wrong with those.

·
Registered
468 Posts
Can you use an indoor trainer like heff mentioned. We just got one for christmas. It's very basic and was less than $100. It was actually for my wife from my mother-in-law, but we both put an hour or so a day on if it's too cold to ride outside. Add some to the price and you have variable resistance, etc. I'm really glad to have it. I got a garmin edge 305 to keep track of indoor miles and it also allows me to keep track of heart rate, etc. and makes a great training aid. So for about $300 you could have a nice setup and you could carry the garmin on your outdoor rides too.

·
My Brain Hurts!
697 Posts
I just put aq Giant Cyclotron under my Sedona that is now sitting in my dining room, a good way to go and it puts you on your bike you ride in season....

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.