Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

· Registered
1,666 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I am starting to get into photography and have an older Olympus 4/3 I bought for cheap to learn. Currently I have a couple lens but they are manual focus only. I'd like something compact, inexpensive and somewhat tough to pair with the camera that will have autofocus. Don't mind shopping used. Trying to stay sub-$150 so the whole setup is cheap enough that if it gets destroyed in a wreck it want make cry too much. Was thinking of 25mm prime lens. Any suggestions?

Sent from my LM-G820 using Tapatalk

· Registered
33 Posts
Compact, AF and sub $150: a used Panasonic 12-32 zoom is usually around $100 (check keh.com or mbp.com inventory). I easily fit a rangefinder body (a 2010 GF1 in my case) with this lens attached in a bum bag.
The 25mm primes are all a bit longer than that. The tiny "pancake" primes are the Olympus 17/2.8 (out of manufacture for years now --- it wasn't very good, but it's cheap at $110 used), and the Panasonic 14/2.5 ($140 used) and 20/1.7 ($150 used). Of these the 20/1.7 has the best image quality, and my pick.
All these lenses survive bouncing around in the woods just fine, as have larger lenses. In years of riding mtb and photographing I haven't lost a lens or body to shakes. I have killed lenses with water.

PS don't confuse 4/3 with micro 4/3 (mft). The former was a DSLR series which also used the 4/3 sensor, but has a different, incompatible lens mount.

· Registered
1,666 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Compact, AF and sub $150: a used Panasonic 12-32 zoom is usually around $100 (check keh.com or mbp.com inventory). I easily fit a rangefinder body (a 2010 GF1 in my case) with this lens attached in a bum bag.
The 25mm primes are all a bit longer than that. The tiny "pancake" primes are the Olympus 17/2.8 (out of manufacture for years now --- it wasn't very good, but it's cheap at $110 used), and the Panasonic 14/2.5 ($140 used) and 20/1.7 ($150 used). Of these the 20/1.7 has the best image quality, and my pick.
All these lenses survive bouncing around in the woods just fine, as have larger lenses. In years of riding mtb and photographing I haven't lost a lens or body to shakes. I have killed lenses with water.

PS don't confuse 4/3 with micro 4/3 (mft). The former was a DSLR series which also used the 4/3 sensor, but has a different, incompatible lens mount.
Awesome. Thanks for advice. The zoom lens sounds interesting. I had also seen the 20/1.7 that looked like a good possibility.

Sent from my LM-G820 using Tapatalk

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.