Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 60 Posts

·
Registered
314 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i rode dh for the first time this weekend, and im hooked! northstar at tahoe was a complete blast!

because their rentals only went up to a sz large, i brought my mtb: 2009 sj fsr with custom wheels in a xxl

people have told me that its usually recommended to ride a dh bike a little smaller than typical for your frame size, as it gives you more control. however, at 6'6", 350, a large is simply too small, and i cant seem to find even an xl in a dh bike. anyone have any suggestions? any help appreciated

thanks! :thumbsup:

·
Registered
45 Posts
I'm the same height, but only 185 pounds. I am looking for XL geometry also. I just lost a ton of money selling a size large Intense that I bought thinking "heh, if large is as big as DH bikes go, that must be all I need." Boy was I wrong. I rode it five times and lost well over a grand selling it, so I don't want to make that mistake again. Anyway, I started a thread similar to this not long ago:

http://forums.mtbr.com/showthread.php?p=6151948#post6151948

Unless I find something better, it looks like the Canfield F1 Jedi will be the one for me. They will have an XL size available in 2010 (not yet listed on their site) that gains an inch in length. It has a reach dimension of 18", 46.5 wheelbase and 16.3 chainstays. The longish size large bikes and XL's have a similar wheelbase, but they all have one inch longer stays, so that makes the front center of the Jedi an inch longer than all the rest. (This is what we tall guys need to not feel pinched up on the bike) And when the suspension dips into its travel, the rearward axle path will push the wheelbase out roughly an inch. So now we are looking at a wheelbase closer to 47.5 inches plus. I think the bike is a but overbuilt for my weight and terrain, but it should be perfect for you.

·
Registered
314 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
08nwsula said:
how do you feel about Santa Cruz?
i feel great! but unless im missing something huge, the v10 and the likes top out at sz large, correct?

·
Registered
314 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
ripplemuncher said:
I'm the same height, but only 185 pounds. I am looking for XL geometry also. I just lost a ton of money selling a size large Intense that I bought thinking "heh, if large is as big as DH bikes go, that must be all I need." Boy was I wrong. I rode it five times and lost well over a grand selling it, so I don't want to make that mistake again. Anyway, I started a thread similar to this not long ago:

http://forums.mtbr.com/showthread.php?p=6151948#post6151948

Unless I find something better, it looks like the Canfield F1 Jedi will be the one for me. They will have an XL size available in 2010 (not yet listed on their site) that gains an inch in length. It has a reach dimension of 18", 46.5 wheelbase and 16.3 chainstays. The longish size large bikes and XL's have a similar wheelbase, but they all have one inch longer stays, so that makes the front center of the Jedi an inch longer than all the rest. (This is what we tall guys need to not feel pinched up on the bike) And when the suspension dips into its travel, the rearward axle path will push the wheelbase out roughly an inch. So now we are looking at a wheelbase closer to 47.5 inches plus. I think the bike is a but overbuilt for my weight and terrain, but it should be perfect for you.
checked out the site, i must admit that i have my reservations...even at the sizes you're listing, im surprised it doesnt have a 1.5" head tube? i thought these were more or less standard on beefy downhill frames. if that's as close as they get, i guess it's that or custom. im really surprised no one else makes at least an xl......

thanks for the info

·
clyde in training
1,917 Posts
lifeis11 said:
i feel great! but unless im missing something huge, the v10 and the likes top out at sz large, correct?
a nomad can be a very good dh/fr bike, especially for someone just getting into the game.

·
Registered
314 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
08nwsula said:
a nomad can be a very good dh/fr bike, especially for someone just getting into the game.
good tip, but i actually have an '09 sj fsr elite, so as nice as the nomad looks, it doesnt, to me, look enough MORE burly than what i've got.

if im going to plunk down serious cash for a dh'er, id really like it to be f*cking bombproof and with tons of travel

·
Registered
45 Posts
lifeis11 said:
checked out the site, i must admit that i have my reservations...even at the sizes you're listing, im surprised it doesnt have a 1.5" head tube? i thought these were more or less standard on beefy downhill frames. if that's as close as they get, i guess it's that or custom. im really surprised no one else makes at least an xl......

thanks for the info
The 1.5 head tube is more for long travel single crown forks that NEED a larger steerer tube so they don't flex so much. Dual crown distributes the load better so is less dependent on extra beef. But 1.5 is burlier, and would be a good choice for your weight. I bet there is a good chance the 2010 Jedi will have a 1.5 head tube because a lot of people are putting single crown forks on them and 1.5 is just more common like you say.

Agreed on the lack of XL's. What is frustrating is that the few XL sizes out there are not longer than the size large bikes. What the manufacturers are doing is offering smaller size increments for regular height people, not a larger frame size.

If you are not after a pure DH bike, you will find some nice long bikes in the freeride category. Check out the 2010 Turner RFX for example. But keep in mind that the head angle is steeper and the seat tube / head tube are longer. You also lose the 150mm dropout spacing that a guy of your weight really wants. (be sure to get a 150mm hub with the widest flange spacing possible. Some manufacturers drop the ball and don't widen the flange spacing for the wider hub specs) Just because we are tall, it does not mean that we don't need to bend our limbs and get as low as possible. In fact, we need to crouch more than the rest to get our center of gravity down as low as possible. So long seat and head tubes are a hindrance for real DH action. If you are riding up hills, then you need it, but don't accept a tall bike for downhill.

I will keep looking for off the shelf options and put what I find in my thread. Post up anything you find. I think the Canfield will work well with a 70mm stem. A little longer TT with a 50mm stem would be better, but other than a vintage Rotec Pro DH, there is just nothing else out there box stock that I have found - yet.

·
Registered
314 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
ripplemuncher said:
The 1.5 head tube is more for long travel single crown forks that NEED a larger steerer tube so they don't flex so much. Dual crown distributes the load better so is less dependent on extra beef. But 1.5 is burlier, and would be a good choice for your weight. I bet there is a good chance the 2010 Jedi will have a 1.5 head tube because a lot of people are putting single crown forks on them and 1.5 is just more common like you say.

Agreed on the lack of XL's. What is frustrating is that the few XL sizes out there are not longer than the size large bikes. What the manufacturers are doing is offering smaller size increments for regular height people, not a larger frame size.

If you are not after a pure DH bike, you will find some nice long bikes in the freeride category. Check out the 2010 Turner RFX for example. But keep in mind that the head angle is steeper and the seat tube / head tube are longer. You also lose the 150mm dropout spacing that a guy of your weight really wants. (be sure to get a 150mm hub with the widest flange spacing possible. Some manufacturers drop the ball and don't widen the flange spacing for the wider hub specs) Just because we are tall, it does not mean that we don't need to bend our limbs and get as low as possible. In fact, we need to crouch more than the rest to get our center of gravity down as low as possible. So long seat and head tubes are a hindrance for real DH action. If you are riding up hills, then you need it, but don't accept a tall bike for downhill.

I will keep looking for off the shelf options and put what I find in my thread. Post up anything you find. I think the Canfield will work well with a 70mm stem. A little longer TT with a 50mm stem would be better, but other than a vintage Rotec Pro DH, there is just nothing else out there box stock that I have found - yet.
i also read through your previous thread, and noticed that you listed the yeti as a " longer" large size. i really like yeti and this would be my first choice. i may be 6'6", but my inseam is only about a 36. i wonder if this would be long enough? have you ridden one of these? thoughts?

·
clyde in training
1,917 Posts
lifeis11 said:
good tip, but i actually have an '09 sj fsr elite, so as nice as the nomad looks, it doesnt, to me, look enough MORE burly than what i've got.
the nomad is way more burly than what you have. if you want a tank, than yes, I would look elsewhere.

·
Registered
45 Posts
lifeis11 said:
i also read through your previous thread, and noticed that you listed the yeti as a " longer" large size. i really like yeti and this would be my first choice. i may be 6'6", but my inseam is only about a 36. i wonder if this would be long enough? have you ridden one of these? thoughts?
I should probably go back and add some clarification to that thread/post. I have a list of bikes here on my desk, all of them within .25" in overall length. Some of them are large's, a few are XL's. The list includes everything in my thread. So the large's are not actually any longer as noted, but actually the XL's are short. The only bike I have found (so far) that is longer than the size large Intense that I lost my shirt on is the (2010 XL) Jedi. That is it. I have found some longer freeride bikes, but they are all too tall. The Jedi with a 70mm stem will gain me two inches in cockpit length over my last bike. That is a pretty good chunk. Enough? I don't know.

I have not ridden the yeti. I have seen the 303 in person and it looks massively strong, so you would be covered there. But in my opinion it is too small for you (us).

·
Registered
314 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
ripplemuncher said:
I should probably go back and add some clarification to that thread/post. I have a list of bikes here on my desk, all of them within .25" in overall length. Some of them are large's, a few are XL's. The list includes everything in my thread. So the large's are not actually any longer as noted, but actually the XL's are short. The only bike I have found (so far) that is longer than the size large Intense that I lost my shirt on is the (2010 XL) Jedi. That is it. I have found some longer freeride bikes, but they are all too tall. The Jedi with a 70mm stem will gain me two inches in cockpit length over my last bike. That is a pretty good chunk. Enough? I don't know.

I have not ridden the yeti. I have seen the 303 in person and it looks massively strong, so you would be covered there. But in my opinion it is too small for you (us).
yeah, i was not concerned about strength on the yeti, more about size and it would seem on that front, it is a no go. thanks for all the input. any idea when that jedi is due out?

·
Registered
45 Posts
I have updated my thread for more clarity.

The conversation I had with Chris Canfield about ten days ago is a bit foggy on the ETA part, but I think he said "about two months" wait on the new Jedi's.

One of the reasons I feel good about the Jedi (beyond geometry) is because of all the posts saying how great the Canfield brothers take care of their customers. And I believe the suspension design is excellent (and I hold a patent on suspension design, so I'm not just speculating)

Let me know if you decide to talk to them. If you do, I will be sure to mention there is at least two tall guys who would appreciate a proper XL size DH bike.

-Alan

·
Registered
388 Posts
I'm 6'6" (but only 205). I have faced some of the issues you have. I'm evenly proportioned with a 36" inseam and long arms and the large V-Tach fit me just fine. It'll fit you too. If you get anything bigger it'll suck to ride in anything technical - there's a reason why these bikes don't come any bigger. They need to be manoeuvrable, not perfectly ergonomic. You need to easily move around on the bike. Remember: it's a sled with pedals!

The Knolly V-Tach is so far the toughest bike I've encountered. Bar none. 12.5lb frame, 150mm rear end. Put a 888 up front and a Saint kit and you have a very tough bike. Anything that's billed as a race bike is one you should probably avoid. Same with any frame that's under 10lbs.

The large V-Tach is not uber-huge but for a bike like this a 24" top tube should be fine. I rode a V-Tach for many years on the Shore and in Whistler with great results. The bike was very flickable for me. You can't evaluate a DH bike's sizing the way you would for your pedally bike. The metrics you used to assess fit for your XC bike just don't apply.

·
Registered
45 Posts
asin, please keep in mind that although a shorter wheelbase bike will steer quicker, it won't be able to defy physics and accelerate a 350lb body mass quicker. A longer bike is a better match in chassis dynamics for a heavier rider. Taller/heavier riders have to accept that they will be at a disadvantage in quickness (just like any other athlete) and bike geometry will not change this. Because you have adapted to your situation, it does not make it the best solution.

Luckily, the flip side is more potential energy (speed) and longer legs (suspension) for downhill. Give and take.

·
Gold it's the new Pink!
535 Posts
They don't make the Highline anymore but Turner did make them in Xl. They are pretty rare but they are out there. I am 6 ft1 and tip the scale at 240 and I ride Large. I have ridden the Xl and I think you would fit on it well. I know Turner did have one left over Xl at the factory about 6 or 7 months ago. Give them a call it might still be there.

Crimson

·
Registered
451 Posts
lifeis11 said:
i rode dh for the first time this weekend, and im hooked! northstar at tahoe was a complete blast!

because their rentals only went up to a sz large, i brought my mtb: 2009 sj fsr with custom wheels in a xxl

people have told me that its usually recommended to ride a dh bike a little smaller than typical for your frame size, as it gives you more control. however, at 6'6", 350, a large is simply too small, and i cant seem to find even an xl in a dh bike. anyone have any suggestions? any help appreciated

thanks! :thumbsup:
Lots of good advice here and in the similar thread (except about the size of the Glory). I'm 6'7" and ride a Rotec RL9 which is plenty big enough. One thing I'd say though is don't get caught up on looking for an XL. XL doesn't give you any idea of the size of the bike. All XL means is bigger than the same bike in L. Research the dimensions/geometry... or just listen to ripplemuncher.

·
Bum Buzzer
1,991 Posts
Bikes that can be had, or custom built, for XL(+)

Evil Revolt
Turner DHR DW (Not def, but he is considering short XL runs)
Ventana El Cuervo (They will do custom sizes too)
Sinister Bikes (R9, etc..) will apparently work with custom builds.
Katipo bikes (more customs)

I am ~6'8" (Just a hair under) and reviewing my options/current bike -- my budget wants to avoid new frame buying until mid 2010 at the earliest, so Im trying to tweak.

I ride a Santa Cruz VP Free XL, which is very large, maybe a hair smaller than 'ideal' - but we all know thats preference. I recently started a thread (down below 'Big boy bike fit' and covered a bit in there.) The VPF fits pretty well, but has a high BB and I would like it a bit slacker (IE - I want it to be a 'real' DH bike)

I am going to get a longer stem and raise it .5" and swap the shock for shorter travel (8.5x2.5 for 7.725" vs 8.75x2.75 for 8.465") which will drop the BB ~.5" and slacken the head ~1degree -- I have heard raves about this setup -- aforementioned budget says "Give it a try"

my point is - track down a cheap used VPF (they're super tough, as long as the linkage is cared for, used is a no brainer) and tweak it to your needs. Otherwise its likely custom time! At 350, you will need a serious spring though, I would think >800lbs -- you may want to look into options, I have never seen a spring over 750 personnally (but I dont get arounf much)

Run it with a 170-180mm beefy single crown and ir will be a little lower and not quite as slack, but up to the beating for sure!

1 - 20 of 60 Posts