Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Living to ride
392 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well for the 2nd time now my Cannondale headshok will not hold air. It costs about $120 to fix it and my LBS says no guarantee it won't be back a 3rd time. Figured its time to get a different front shock setup. I know I'll need an adapter to do this but can anyone recommend a cheap but worthy front shock? I'm on a very tight budget.

Thanks

·
Living to ride
392 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
mullen119 said:
how tight of a budget are we talking?
Kind of I don't have any money but need to get my bike fixed as it is my main form of transportation cause I can't afford to drive my truck to work everyday.

I want quality but not fancy just basic! Also want it to be able to be a full lock out unlike my cannondale shock which is only a partial lock out. If I could get it fully lock out I wouldn't be looking for a new shock I'd just lock it so I can ride.
But there is no sense in buying a crap to have that fail on me later.

·
Registered
4,724 Posts
Well there really is no such thing full lock out. Forks need to have a blow off of some sort to keep them from blowing seals when they take an unexpected big hit. Sounds like a sr suntour fork with a speed lock damper would be the cheapest fork that fits your needs. You should be able to find one under 100 bucks. What size steerer tube would you need?

·
Registered
76 Posts
SR Suntour recommendations

Hi, this is Doug from SR Suntour. Not sure of your budget, travel requirements, wheel size or the type of riding your doing, but I can offer the following information.

We offer the XCR fork with 100mm travel with mechanical lock-out for approx $120. We also have the Raidon LO fork with 120mm travel and hydraulic lock-out for approx $250. What you don't see here is that the XCR uses plastic bushings whereas the Raidon uses metal bushings. Metal bushings are far better if you do real off road riding and want something that is going to last.

We also have other higher-end models like Epicon which start at around $350.

You can ask your local bike shop to order one of these for you or we can sell you one directly.

Good luck.............Doug

·
Living to ride
392 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Anyone else have any recommendations for me? Finally saved up about $130 to spend on one.

·
That's what she said...
21 Posts

·
Registered
4,724 Posts
You dont want a dart 1. It has no damping and is a noodle pogo stick. Right now is the worst time of the year for finding good deals on bike parts since its right in the middle of the season.

What length steerer tube did you need? I have a suntour mag 32 (same as the Epicon but came stock on a bike) just laying around with a 7 1/2'' steerer.

·
Registered
4,724 Posts
How about an RS Tora series?
They are decent entry level forks. They are pretty stiff laterally, But have a pretty basic damper. Most people are fine with the turn key dampers though and dont notice its faults. They also can be upgraded later on to the much better motion control damper. Its not a bad way to spend your money when on a budget. Not sure if one would be available in the OPs price range though.

·
Living to ride
392 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
What length steerer tube did you need? I have a suntour mag 32 (same as the Epicon but came stock on a bike) just laying around with a 7 1/2'' steerer.
Not sure what length I'll need as I will be converting from a cannondale headshok using an adapter kit to the new fork.

Is mag 32 a disc only? What color is it? How much do you want for it?

Thanks

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.