Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
216 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Eight years ago, I was doing a daily commute, 19 miles one way. Carried my bags on the rack. That was two jobs and 40 pounds ago. Decided I needed to start commuting again to drop this weight, but I no longer own the rig with the rack.

My current rig is a Giant OCR 1. No place to install a rack, plus the commute is a combination bike/bus commute. I don't want to deal with removing the bag from the rack to get on the bus.

The ride to the park and ride is 10 miles one way. I need to carry a full change of cloths, along with a laptop. I live in AZ and it get's hot here, so ventilation is needed between the back and the pack.

Any recommendations for a large capacity backpack, that can carry a fresh change of cloths, baby wipes, work shoes and a laptop, would be greatly appreciated.

·
7,758 Posts
I'd check if your laptop will fit in the Osprey Manta 36. I've had a smaller one for years and the airspeed mesh back keeps the pack off your back and lets air flow between your back and the pack. I constantly over-stuff it and have had no issues with zippers, they are bombproof. I did break a hipbelt clip, but may have closed it in the car door...they repaired it for free (I paid 1 way shipping) under the lifetime no questions asked warranty. The measurements of the Manta 36 and the airspeed back panel can be seen here...Manta Series - Osprey Packs, Inc :2014: Official Site

If there is any way you can leave shoes and/or laptop at work, that would be a plus.

·
Registered
653 Posts
I've been using the Ergon BC-3. I carry clothes and a laptop in a sleeve. There's a place for a bladder but I don't usually use one. The Ergons have a ball joint and the hip belt move a lot of the load off your shoulders. They can be pricey, I bought mine off of Ebay. I think they've gone away from the flink in the newer packs, the BA series.

·
Registered
483 Posts
I have an Osprey Momentum series. They were designed for bicycle commuting and have some nice features. I personally like Osprey and have been using their products for the last 15 years.

·
7,758 Posts
^^That looks nice, provided you don't need the hydration reservoir setup for the commute or double-duty on the trails.

Senorslacker, good luck on your commute and the desired weight loss. Bikecommuting sounds like a great solution, because it becomes a habit, and you've had it before!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts