Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently purchased a Surly Ogre frame, and wanted to use it with a set of 29er 12mm thru axle wheels that I have. Unfortunately, the front fork is not thru axle compatible. Does anyone have any recommendations for 12mm to 9mm QR adaptors? There are a lot to choose from, but I can't seem to find any reviews or suggestions regarding brands.

Something like this seems to be sufficient?

·
Registered
1,010 Posts
Really a simple piece of equipment. Nothing much to them. I have used a 20 to 15, a 15 to 9 QR and a 15 to 9mm thru bolt and have had a couple different brands. All work the same. With that said MTB Tools is a solid brand off eBay.

·
since 4/10/2009
34,924 Posts
Cool, so that axle adapter should be compatible with a 9mm thru bolt like this DT swiss one?
Browsing through the stuff on the mtbtools.com website, that looks to be the case.

Compare the adapter you shared to this one:

https://www.mtbtools.com/product/adapter-set-rear-hub-frame/

which makes the difference between them quite clear. As long as the width of your hub is the same as the fork (100mm non-boost), you should be fine.

Have you checked to make sure your hub doesn't have swappable end caps, or a conversion kit available from the manufacturer?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Here are a few photos of my hub: [link](https://photos.app.goo.gl/oa9K2RqZuGZCZhsS8)

It didn't come with anything else. From my understanding these wheels came stock with the Specialized Sequoia Elite, and are custom for that bike. (Specialized Hayfield, is what they are called). This makes me think that they didn't come with an adapter from Specialized, but I haven't reached out yet.

Yeah, most adapters I've found look more like the one you posted. I've been told that the 9mm thru bolt would be safer, compared to an adapter like this that fits into the axle, then is secured with a 5mm standard QR. I dunno if this is true, it seems to me that the adapter for the 5mm QR would be taking most of the force, while in the case of the 9mm adapter, it will be the bolt taking most of the force. I don't know which situation is better?

·
since 4/10/2009
34,924 Posts
If possible, I tend to prefer those RWS thru bolts over standard quick releases. I dunno about the safety stuff you're talking about, but IME they're stiffer because of their larger diameter, and the fact that you can secure them a little tighter.

They were popular for a very short time before the 15mm thru axle hit the market, and my wife has a bike from 2010 that came with them. I had one on the fork of a bike that I got in 2003. Coincidentally, it was a Specialized, and the thru bolt that specialized put on the bike was terrible and would loosen up on a ride. So I replaced it with a DT RWS thru bolt.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.