Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

61 - 72 of 72 Posts

·
Registered
4,570 Posts
I know, I was kinda pissed that my thread about hookers and blow got locked. I mean, I was doing some excellent recruiting in there!
That thread getting locked was one my greatest disappointments in many years.

·
since 4/10/2009
31,418 Posts
Scott was sold at sporting good stores years ago. To me that’s just a tad better than a department store bike. I know they’ve gotten better over the years but have they really entered the “high end” marketplace? I don’t think so.
Scott nowadays is a bit different than it used to be from your memory. They contracted their sales to Europe for quite some time before they came back to the US (fewer than 20yrs ago, iirc). They absolutely do have high end bikes. But as for them being overall high-end? No more so than Trek or Specialized. They sell entry level bikes all the way up to the top end stuff. They have a few proprietary, quirky things just like Trek and Specialized offer. They've had plenty of proprietary rear shocks over the years. They're known for their "Twinloc" handlebar suspension control lever that adjust front and rear settings at the same time. A friend of mine rides a Ransom. I think the one he has is a $9k model. Syncros is their "house" component brand these days, which are generally considered to be good bits.

·
Self Appointed Judge&Jury
37,956 Posts
Thanks Harold, man am I out of touch in regards to Scott. I knew they had some expensive models in recent years. I just didn’t know much about them.

Reactions: stripes

·
since 4/10/2009
31,418 Posts
Thanks Harold, man am I out of touch in regards to Scott. I knew they had some expensive models in recent years. I just didn’t know much about them.
From what I recall when I used to sell them, they do a nice job on their carbon bikes, too. Where SC tends to overbuild their bikes because raw beat-the-****-out-of-it durability is a high priority for them, Scott has more of a performance focus with their carbon construction. I can't say I've heard it resulting in much sacrifice on durability from what I've been able to notice, but then again, there tends to be fewer of them out there, so fewer data points/less noise.

·
37,956 Posts
Funny how Intense hasn’t been mentioned here seeing how they are almost like sister companies with SC. Both getting in the business around the same time and being good friends, they followed the same designs for years. Intense was in the early years more money than SC but later both equaled out to compete price wise.

·
since 4/10/2009
31,418 Posts
Funny how Intense hasn’t been mentioned here seeing how they are almost like sister companies with SC. Both getting in the business around the same time and being good friends, they followed the same designs for years. Intense was in the early years more money than SC but later both equaled out to compete price wise.
IMO, Intense's current colors/graphics are FUGLY.

Back in the early 2000's, they sold a bike that was basically a clone of the Specialized that I ended up buying. I wanted the Intense, but couldn't afford it.

·
Registered
201 Posts
IMO, Intense's current colors/graphics are FUGLY.

Back in the early 2000's, they sold a bike that was basically a clone of the Specialized that I ended up buying. I wanted the Intense, but couldn't afford it.
Almost bought a 2021 Primer. Discouraged by the poor reviews.......All Intense are still IMO an excellent buy (Value).

·
since 4/10/2009
31,418 Posts
Almost bought a 2021 Primer. Discouraged by the poor reviews.......All Intense are still IMO an excellent buy (Value).
They are a better value now than they were 20yrs ago. But that doesn't change that they're fugly.

·
37,956 Posts
I bought a 2020 Primer and love it.

Harold the graphics you are thinking of was from about 3-5 years ago. They’ve toned them down since, of course graphics are all personal taste.

And it sounds like you are talking about the 2000-2003 Tracer, UZZI-SL & UZZI-SLX. All ran 4-bar suspension like Specialized. I still have an old UZZI-SL as my backup bike.

·
since 4/10/2009
31,418 Posts
I bought a 2020 Primer and love it.

Harold the graphics you are thinking of was from about 3-5 years ago. They’ve toned them down since, of course graphics are all personal taste. And it sounds like you are talking about the 2000-2003 Tracer, UZZI-SL & UZZI-SLX. All ran 4-bar suspension like Specialized. I still have an old UZZI-SL as my backup bike.
I think the one I was looking at was the Tracer.

yeah, they were worse a few years ago. most manufacturers have bad runs of colors/designs from time to time. they're still plenty ugly, though. I have a STRONG preference for solid colors and no extraneous graphics whatsoever, though.

61 - 72 of 72 Posts