Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
721 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been riding a new local XC trail lately that seems to be chewing through tires - just lots of rocks with sharp edges. I've now sliced through the sidewalls of a Geax Saguaro and a Hutchinson Python as well as puncturing straight through the tread of a Maxxis Ignitor. The Python and Saguaro tires were on the rear wheel, and the Ignitor was on the front. Much of this I will take the blame for since several other riders have been able to ride this trail without the tire casualties that I am experiencing - my fitness isn't that great right now so I'm not exactly finessing things.

Does anyone have any suggestions? My fitness level dictates that I would rather not go to something as over-the-top as the WTB Stout. I do have a Rampage tire that I could run, but I'm not blown away by it as a rear tire. I'm definitley open to suggestions though.

FWIW, I generally run a tubeless setup on Arch rims. However, going through sidewalls at this rate (three sidewall gashes in 5 rides), sort of makes it pointless.

·
Always Learning
9,608 Posts
TurnerConvert said:
I've been riding a new local XC trail lately that seems to be chewing through tires - just lots of rocks with sharp edges. I've now sliced through the sidewalls of a Geax Saguaro and a Hutchinson Python as well as puncturing straight through the tread of a Maxxis Ignitor. The Python and Saguaro tires were on the rear wheel, and the Ignitor was on the front. Much of this I will take the blame for since several other riders have been able to ride this trail without the tire casualties that I am experiencing - my fitness isn't that great right now so I'm not exactly finessing things.

Does anyone have any suggestions? My fitness level dictates that I would rather not go to something as over-the-top as the WTB Stout. I do have a Rampage tire that I could run, but I'm not blown away by it as a rear tire. I'm definitley open to suggestions though.

FWIW, I generally run a tubeless setup on Arch rims. However, going through sidewalls at this rate (three sidewall gashes in 5 rides), sort of makes it pointless.
I've had good luck in sharp rocks (Black Hills riding) with Nevegals, Fire XC Pros and believe it or not - Nanoraptors (all run tubeless).

BB

·
Registered
1,395 Posts
TurnerConvert said:

Try the Bontrager Dry X. The sidewalls on that seem to be pretty beefy.

·
Registered
1,104 Posts
I have dry x, Nevegal, Rampage, Jones ACX, Ignitor all in my possession, the Dry-X seems to have the thickest sidewall casing...

I would say in order of sidewall casing:

Dry X tubeless ready 2.1
Rampage 2.35
Nevegal 2.2
Jones ACX tubless ready 2.1(I forget) (pretty damn weak)
Ignitor 2.1 (pretty damn weak)

Weight would probably be:

Nevegal 2.2
Rampage 2.35
Dry X 2.1
Jones ACX 2.1 (I forget)
Ignitor 2.1

·
Slow and steady
503 Posts
So far I have had better luck with Saguaros than Rampages as far as sidewall durability tubeless is concerned. Basically, if you ride over sharp rocks at speeds exceeding 20mph you will destroy any 29er tire fairly quickly, at least I do.

I have not tried the Stout yet, but I need to get a set on order to check them out.

·
Expert Crasher
6,359 Posts
The two thickest sidewalls I've got in my tire selection are the Bontrager Dry X (now called Xdx) and the Michelin AT XC. Both work great as a rear tire. The Bontrager has an abrasion resistant casing (ARC) - in your situation, that's the one I'd try.

·
Registered
70 Posts
I have managed to eventually slash or badly damage nearly every tire I have ridden with the exception of my WTB Exiwolfs which seem to be indestructable, even running them at 20psi.

·
Registered
721 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks folks - looks like I'll give the Dry X (Xdx) a try - sounds like the best option short of creating a 2 ply tire using rubber cement and an inner tube.... Flashing back to the what was available two years ago, it's nice to have all of the options that we do now.

·
Registered
250 Posts
what about all that and more?

I've got a perfectly good Ignitor on my rear wheel, but I'm wondering if the sidewall will hold up for an upcoming race where I'm going to run into sharp rocks AND mud, but I'll still need to have a fast tire. So, what would be the call for fast, durable, rear, mixed conditions including lots of mud and sharp submerged rocks?

·
change is good
Switchblade with a 38, 29+ rigid WaltWorks
4,013 Posts
Once again, Bruce has nailed it.

BruceBrown said:
I've had good luck in sharp rocks (Black Hills riding) with Nevegals, Fire XC Pros and believe it or not - Nanoraptors (all run tubeless).

BB
My Python failed. Back to the Nanos. The last time I ran a Nano front was with a tube. Much better grip tubeless and lower psi. Nanos and Rampages, I'm in love. Fire XC Pro better in the mud but slower than the Ramps on the hardpack sections in the part of the midwest I'm in. I need to pay attention with the Nanos; it's still a fast XC tire on the front and will make me pay if I forget it can't do what a Ramp can do.

·
Reviewer/Tester
6,176 Posts
Two tires that have been very good for me in the rocks are Kenda Nevegal, and the Panaracer Rampage.

I've never cut a sidewall with either of these so far ... :thumbsup:

R.

·
hellraiser
74 Posts
I had the same issues at the start of this year, shredding a Scwalbe Racing ralph and a Maxxis Crossmark in my first three rides. I've been trying out a few tyres trying to find a durable, but aggressive tyre that's still suitably light for the odd race.

I ended up narrowing on the IRC Fire XC Pro which is really burly, respectably light (just under 700 grams) and nicely aggressive. I have also tried and liked the Michelin AC XC as a wetter/muddier condition tyre. The AC XC sheds mud like a champ, seems very durable and is surprisingly grippy for the lack of knobs. I'll probably run either of these (or a combo depending on conditions) for an upcoming 24 hour race.

As a heavier all mountain/freeride tyre I'm REALLY liking the Panaracer Rampage.

good luck.

Cheers,

Coach

·
Out there
2,298 Posts
Rampages all the way for me. Have never let me down including riding sharp shale in alpine BC at very high speed!

·
Registered
721 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 · (Edited)
PNW said:
Do I have to repete myself:rolleyes:
Schwalbe Little Alberts:thumbsup:
I am running the Albert UST tires on my 26" FS and find them to be a really solid tire. However, for a hardtail I really want something with more volume. If the Schwalbe's were cheaper, I might be tempted to give them a go, but it's just too much money to just 'give it a go'....

I like the Rampage as a front tire, but it isn't my favorite as a rear - I think I'll try some other options first.

The LBS has ordered me a Dry-X to try - people seem pretty happy with it. If this doesn't work I'm going to try either the Fire XC or the Exiwolf next. Too many more tires though and I guess I'll just have to stop riding this trail....

·
Registered
721 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Just following up on this post. So I ordered a Dry-X tire through the local shop and I've had it out a couple times now. The sidewall is definitely beefier than the other tires I've tried, and while I see a few minor abrasions, overall it seems to be holding up very well. The only real downside to this tire is that it is less than great on wet rocks. I know - it's got 'dry' in the name, so I didn't really expect any differently. I've been running it with tubes so far (~30 psi), but I'm going to set it up tubeless shortly and see if I can drop the pressure down to get better traction. Definitely not a deal-breaker by any means - not having to replace a slashed tire every ride is awesome. Is Bontrager planning on offering any other 29" tires with the abrasion resistant casing?

1 - 20 of 26 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.