Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1,799 Posts
teebor76xc said:
I had shoulder surgery (anterior repair) a month ago now and would appreciate any recommendations for a Physiotherapist in the Hamilton Mountain - Ancaster area?
I've only used the McMaster facility. I know someone who is an elite level athlete and also a physiotherapist on the Mountain. I will pm you when I get the details.

As far as the surgery, I had the anterior stabilization done in 1998 after realizing cyclists shouldn't play football! It was all dandy, did the rehab, then had a freak hockey crash that undid the surgery. There was no keeping it in after that (50 + dislocations, one while I was sleeping!). Didn't have the courage to inquire about surgery again. Then between 2002 and 2005 I spent some quality time in the gym and built shoulder strength for the first time in my life. Shoulder has been great since (I obviously have adjusted how I use my left arm, but I still spent a couple winters indoor rock climbing and it held up pretty good!). Even though my situation was a little extraordinary, I still recommend not to rely on the surgery as the fix. Spend some time at home, or in the gym and work those shoulders after physio is done. You can use the physio exercises as a model, but increase weight and include the other regular shoulder exercises (and obviously an overall upper body workout).

One month later. My guess is your arm pit is pretty icky right now!

·
Registered
32 Posts
I have had this surgery twice before on my left shoulder. Initially started from a hockey injury and then 15-20 dislocations later the first surgery. Then tore it out on a bench press 5 years later and had another 20 dislocations before the second surgery. (Unfortunatly 2 days ago I just tore out my right shoulder now as well)

Enough with the history, I agree with Cpt Sydor 110%. After the second surgery I found a personal trainer who specialed in this out of Georgetown (I have his name and number if you want to pm me) It was expensive but I regained almost full mobility and strength, something that phsio said I would just have to live with. He would put my arm in positions where I was unable to lift a 2.5lb weight.

·
mtb wipeout king
69 Posts
don't know if the clinic is still running, but the Levy clinic specializes in sports only. In fact he at one time was the team doc for the cats. I last used him for my knee and he even helped me avoid the surgery.

Levy Memorial Sports Injuries Clinic
(905) 549-9242

810 King St E
Hamilton, ON L8M1A9

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.