Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
i have a full suspension xc bike that I won't be riding off-road for a few months. I currently have 2.1" knobbies on there and would like to put something a little thinner, quieter and absurdly lightning fast (this is a poor attempt at humor :D ).

The rims are 559x20 I was thinking 26x1.5, but maybe that's too thin? Any recommendations on size and specific tires would be great. I live of a 25+ mile paved path and the bike will primarily be ridden there.

Thanks!

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
i called bikes direct today I spoke to two different people. One recommended 26x1.4 and the other said my bike is "optimized" for a wider tire and I should go with 26x1.85. I was thinking of just splitting the difference and going with 26x1.6

Has anyone gone narrower on an MTB? Would love to get some feedback

·
Registered
1,247 Posts
Averaging from the 19C and 21C columns of Schwalbe's chart, it seems like the minimum width you can get-away-with on a 20mm clincher is ~1.25" (32mm). But you should consider the tiny relative diameter of the 26" wheel/tire. A road wheel with 700c x 25mm tires is ~1/2" greater in diameter than a mountain wheel with even 26" x 2.1" knobbies... and rolling resistance is supposed to be better at 28mm (disregarding acceleration, which will be worse). But a FS MTB is in another world of (non-)acceleration, heh.

I would honestly opt for a semi-slick like the Kenda K847 Kross Plus. Being able to deal with some dirt and gravel is a boon.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
MTB is in another world of (non-)acceleration, heh.

I would honestly opt for a semi-slick like the Kenda K847 Kross Plus. Being able to deal with some dirt and gravel is a boon.
I’m not too worried about being blazing fast (I already know I’ll be slow hahah). I’ll checkout those Kendas.

My big dilemma is width? 1.4”, 1.6”, 1.85”? I’ve been doing my homework, but I haven’t come across the right bit of information yet

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.