Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
150 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All,

I will be changing my Chainring configuration as follows for a 104/64mm spider on a Specialitiés Carmina Crank. The rear cogset is 9-Speed 11-34T.

Inner: Blackspire Chuck Ring 22t (Stainless Steel)
Middle: Surly 34T (Stainless Steel)
Outer: Specialitiés Chinook 7075-T6 Al 46T

Is there any particular chain you would recommend for the above configuration? Will any 9 Speed chain be sufficient? Or are there some that will shift better with chainrings that do not have shift ramps and pins?

My current configuration uses Race Face Al Chainrings (24-36-48) with an XT 11-34T cogset and a KMC X9 SL Chain. The upshifts (small to large cogs) at the back aren't that smooth nor quiet and I have problems at the front too which I think is due to the bottom bracket axle being too long (122mm). I will also be changing the BB to one that is 118mm.

I have a similar configuration (no shift ramps and pins) on my old rigid bike which has a 7 Speed cogset (13-34T) and the front shifts very well.

Thanks, Michael.

·
Registered
543 Posts
I don't think you'll notice a difference between chains. You can get 34t ramped chainrings though, unless you're really attached to the Surly for some reason? TA, Blackspire and Middleburn at the very least will do a 34t middle ring.

Non-indexed shifters will shift the best, SRAM gripshifters work too, I've used unramped rings with these. Shimano/SRAM trigger shifters may be hard to set up.

- Joel

·
Registered
150 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Non-indexed shifters will shift the best, SRAM gripshifters work too, I've used unramped rings with these. Shimano/SRAM trigger shifters may be hard to set up.

- Joel
Hi Joel,

My old rigid bike uses indexed shifters.

The reason I want the Surly is because it's Stainless Steel and they can be flipped over to double the lifespan.

The 36T middle, I currently have, is looking worn.

Has anyone used an IRD Pro 991 Hollow Pin Chain?

Thanks, Michael.

·
Super Moderator
48,237 Posts
Hi Joel,

My old rigid bike uses indexed shifters.

The reason I want the Surly is because it's Stainless Steel and they can be flipped over to double the lifespan.

The 36T middle, I currently have, is looking worn.

Has anyone used an IRD Pro 991 Hollow Pin Chain?

Thanks, Michael.
I use mid-level SRAM chains.

Avoid hollow pin chains.

·
Registered
150 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Oh I run a 46 tooth Front ring and an 2004/5 XTR FD.....

I would like to go to a 48 tooth just wondering if my FD is gonna work...I think so????
I think I read somewhere, once, that later FDs usually cater up to 44T and or there is a tighter limitation regarding the difference in the number of teeth between the inner and outer chainrings.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts