What

Kind

Of

Budget

Are

We

Looking

At?
no more than $5/600 £400, i didnt state a budget as i didnt want people just coming in with R1's (i understand they are not the easiest to bleed/maintain?) im after the criteria above not so much the best bling

·
Premium Member
2,015 Posts
I like my tried and true HFX-9's, low maintenance, easy to work on, powerful. Bleeding them is a 10 minute job. I hot-rodded them with some goodridge lines (made a noticeable difference in power). Not sure how light weight your looking to go though. I'm sure there are lots of brakes lighter than the 9's.

·
Meh.
17,508 Posts
When you start riding more aggresively, HFX9s are hardly low maintenance. They're cheaply built brakes to meet a pricepoint. Tolerance, material, and build quality are all pretty poor. Plenty of brand new brakes that came on bikes have had to be rebuilt or sent in for warranty.

I think I have an entire Rubbermaid bin full of HFX-9 levers and G2 calipers that have failed in some way.

I had a set of G1 Mags that were decent. The MC failed after 3 years though.

·
Premium Member
2,015 Posts
XSL_WiLL said:
When you start riding more aggresively, HFX9s are hardly low maintenance. They're cheaply built brakes to meet a pricepoint. Tolerance, material, and build quality are all pretty poor. Plenty of brand new brakes that came on bikes have had to be rebuilt or sent in for warranty.

I think I have an entire Rubbermaid bin full of HFX-9 levers and G2 calipers that have failed in some way.

I had a set of G1 Mags that were decent. The MC failed after 3 years though.
I've had my set for 3 years now, over 3500km with no issues at all, and I do ride pretty hard. I had a set on my 'spare' bike that worked out just as well albeit it had less miles on it. They have never let me down. Not like my Juicy 5's, which leaked like a ***** no matter how many times they were fixed.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts