Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
195 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,

Can anyone recommend me a good third party finless brake pads for Shimano XTR, the newer model.

I'm looking for one that can be comparable to the metal pads of the original pad.

I've only tried Uberbike matrix racing pads before on Saints, it's very good except it wear very fast.

Main reason is most likely the rattling noise of those fin on the pads and maybe save bit on cost too.

·
Registered
298 Posts
Galfer or MTX Braking

·
Registered
977 Posts
Main reason is most likely the rattling noise of those fin on the pads and maybe save bit on cost too.
You can try to bent the pad springs a little bit outwards.
Did this to my Saint pads and they don't seem to rattle.

Some other great pads are Trickstuff and SwissStop.
Or if you want to cheap out try some pads from China.

I use the ZTTO full metal pads on a Deore 4 pots.
4 pairs cost 10 bucks. I'm really pleased with their performance, but the saint pads are better imo.

·
Out spokin'
In cog? Neato!
18,118 Posts
I tried the MTX red pads for about a year -- in my experience they're just as good as Truckerco pads.
Three weeks ago I bought a 4-pack of Truckerco OSM pads for $6.75 per pair (shipping included).
Just checked MTX's website -- their red pads retail for $32.99 per pair. Not sure if MTX ships for free or if they charge.
In summary the MTX pads are a great choice if one's goals include braking performance on par with Truckerco plus spending roughly 5 times more.
=sParty

·
Registered
3,555 Posts
The pad compounds is one place where Shimano does an excellent job--hard to beat, though some manufacturers do come close to the performance.

Saint pads fit the 4 piston caliper, if that's what you have. The metal pads (D02S) are relatively easy to find. I'll use them in the winter with non-ice-tech rotors to claim back some heat to keep the brake oil warm(er).

·
Registered
167 Posts
Truckerco
I've been using these for over a decade -- they're cheap but offer excellent performance & wear. My personal choice is their organic semi-metallic compound.
=sParty
Good to know. I purchased a quart of their sealant to try since is such a bargain compared to a lot of others and saw their brake pads were equally as reasonably priced but hadn't seen any reviews of them.

·
Registered
775 Posts
Galfer or MTX Braking

1+. Galfer for my Shimano SLX m7120 4 pistons (Canfield Nimble 9) and MTX red on my SRAM code (Ripmo V1)

Edit I might try Truckerco if they're similar but cheaper

·
Registered
10,244 Posts
I have great luck with DiscoBrakes.
Agreed. Very reasonable price especially if you buy in bulk

·
Registered
440 Posts
How does it compare to the finned metal pads?
They are the exact same compound, they feel no different.
At best, the finned pads shed heat a bit faster than the non-finned pads if you're doing a lot of hard braking on gravity type trails.
But if you like the Shimano finned pad braking feel, you'll like the non-finned pads since they will feel exactly the same.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.