Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I need some tires for my hardtail that sees duty mainly at Browns and/or McDowell. I have a full squish for all other riding so this bike can be tuned to those 2 areas. Wheels are 27.5 and I have been running Rekon 2.8's for a while however I'm looking for something faster but stays hooked up in those Browns ranch corners. I pretty much stick to Maxxis although I'm open to others. Schwalbe tires have not been very good for me nor have Specialized. Suggestions???

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
WTB Riddler 2.4, front and rear. Just don't expect big knob braking straight ahead. I have a few for sale. Most reliable fast XC casing I have used in 20 years. The other that comes to mind is Vittoria Agarro or Morsa. I stock all of these for my own bikes.
Where do you sell out of? Do you happen to be the person on CL that's always offering parts out of the SoMo area?

·
Registered
468 Posts
Where do you sell out of? Do you happen to be the person on CL that's always offering parts out of the SoMo area?
Yes, I have ads on CL. Tires are what I mostly toy with. My opinions come from my own experience, having destroyed more than my share in my day.

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Also, not clear why you are expecting 2.8" tires to be XC fast. Especially a tire with so little cornering prowess.
I'm not expecting 2.8's to be fast, that's why I'm looking for something new. The bike came with 2.8 Rekon's and I've continued to run them. My rear has a gash and now that I've found what I think is my sweet spot for this bike (Browns and McDowell) I realize I want a faster tire. I'm pretty interested in the Riddlers based on your experience. Those kind of tick all my boxes. Don't be surprised if you hear from me here or on CL for them.

·
Registered
ya like dags?
5,855 Posts
Which trails at McDowell? You talking about the competitive loop side, or the other side with stuff like Bell Pass? You could get away with a pretty fast tire at Browns and McDowell competitive. If I were riding the looser stuff a bunch on the other side I'd probably want something a bit beefier.

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Which trails at McDowell? You talking about the competitive loop side, or the other side with stuff like Bell Pass? You could get away with a pretty fast tire at Browns and McDowell competitive. If I were riding the looser stuff a bunch on the other side I'd probably want something a bit beefier.
Yeah I think what you mean by competitive loop side, Pemberton, Bluff etc. Bell Pass/Gateway/Lost Dog is definitely my FS bike. A typical ride I would do on my HT is start somewhere in Browns (Pima Dynamite or Browns TH) ride to Fraesfiled, cross the road to Gooseneck then drop down into McDowell. So that fast decomposed granite type stuff. Most extreme might be like CoachWhip to DIxie Mine to Pemberton or something like that. Absolute worst case is PMP when my FS is down for some reason but I'm willing to compromise my HT at PMP for speed at Browns because that's what this bike is for. PMP just happens to be my "home" ride.

·
Black and Sticky
768 Posts
I ride all the east side trails you mention, so much so that I suspect we’ve passed each other on several occasions. PMP trails are my home trails too. On my hard tail I use Rekon 2.4 front and Ikon 2.35 rear. Actually my most hooked up rig is a fully rigid Mooseknuckle running Bontrager XR2 3.00. It’s made for those smooth kitty litter trails at MSP and MMRP. You have a lot of good choices in this thread. Good luck with your tires.

Bob

Reactions: Santana SS

·
livin' the dream......
1,970 Posts
I am on a hardtail and run Ikons F/R and think they are just fine at Browns et. al. Ride Gateway TH side of the McDowells, work pretty well there too, but there are lot of options and I am just too lazy to swap tires on my one and only bike.

·
Registered
658 Posts
Full squish at Brown's is kinda obscene overkill. Apparently easily rideable on skinny little gravel bikes/tires. Not that that stops me from riding my 170mm Enduro there, out of sheer lack of desire to buy more bikes. =)

I don't think I've run anything but specialized Butcher and Eliminators in the last couple years, and I certainly haven't been left wanting for more grip. Can't be bothered to change tires/wheels/bikes just for Brown's. Buggers climb balanced rock like a mountain goat too =)

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Full squish at Brown's is kinda obscene overkill. Apparently easily rideable on skinny little gravel bikes/tires. Not that that stops me from riding my 170mm Enduro there, out of sheer lack of desire to buy more bikes. =)
Sometimes I ride my 150mm FS out there and it's fun too. I find the FS stays hooked up a lot better in the corners. When I ride the FS, I hit the "black diamond" lines near Pima Dynamite and/or Diablo. I quote/unquote black diamond because lets be fair, those lines aren't really blacks but relative to the rest of Browns and a number of riders that frequent that area maybe they are.

·
livin' the dream......
1,970 Posts
Browns is as hard as you want to make it. One of my favorite places to ride in PHX area, I do see a lot of big bikes out there along with the gravel bike gang.

·
Registered
415 Posts
Is there parking near Pima/Dynamite? I drove past that parking lot the other day and appears they're renovating it or maybe it was just the road work, but it was closed. I ended up with the rest of the hooples at the main trail head. Brown's was fun, nothing too techy, but I got what I wanted there. Place is beautiful.

·
Registered
404 Posts
Is there parking near Pima/Dynamite? I drove past that parking lot the other day and appears they're renovating it or maybe it was just the road work, but it was closed. I ended up with the rest of the hooples at the main trail head. Brown's was fun, nothing too techy, but I got what I wanted there. Place is beautiful.
Not right now. They've got it closed while they're building the trailhead infrastructure. Not sure when it will be done but I would expect it to be soon. You can keep going further down Dynamite to the Fraesfield TH. It's usually not as busy.

Sent from my SM-T380 using Tapatalk

1 - 20 of 25 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.