Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
4,066 Posts
Side question, for pre-riding the sea otter xc course, where is the best place to park?

Assuming the bleachers area near the start and the road drag hill climb will not be available for practice riding?

·
Autonomous
278 Posts
+1 for Fort Ord, tho as noted it’s not particularly difficult. Fun can be found, for example trails 50 (north & south), 49, 42 & more. Be sure to get a map cos you’re definitely gonna need it, even if you have a gps. It’s a great place to explore & “get lost” on the spaghetti network of trails. Sand pits, brake bumps & poison oak are the only negatives, and even those are rare.

·
Registered
293 Posts
+1 for Fort Ord, tho as noted it's not particularly difficult. Fun can be found, for example trails 50 (north & south), 49, 42 & more. Be sure to get a map cos you're definitely gonna need it, even if you have a gps. It's a great place to explore & "get lost" on the spaghetti network of trails. Sand pits, brake bumps & poison oak are the only negatives, and even those are rare.
Fort Ord are my home trails and as stated definitely worth checking out. Once you get to know the trails you can really push the tempo and enjoy the flow. I disagree on one point though… Sand pits are everywhere and the whole place is infested with poison oak.

As said, trail 49 North (north of eucalyptus) is a fun one to go down. I'd add in trail 82 as well. Just be careful as the trails are multi-use and multi-directional. While 49N & 82 are popular descending trails you will pretty much always find people climbing. And be careful if you go down 50 as it's now part of the sea otter course and climbs up.

Enjoy!

·
orthonormal
5,144 Posts
Here you go: Fort Ord Trail Map

Park at the Creekside Terrace lot. From there, go up 30 to 25 to Sandy Ridge Rd., down 32 to Engineer Canyon, up to 36 to Jack's, up 3 Sisters, then down 42. From there, it's just a matter of how far you want to ride. You can keep it short by climbing back up 43 then down 41. For a longer route, head over to 82 and up 49 and/or climb Pilarcitos Canyon to 50, include a 47/48 loop etc.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.