Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
337 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone have a recommendation for a good all around multi tool for out on the trail? A chain tool is a must, I've been saved by one a few times in the past.
I bought a crank brothers m19, but it rusts if I even think about using it.

·
Elitest thrill junkie
41,029 Posts
Anyone have a recommendation for a good all around multi tool for out on the trail? A chain tool is a must, I've been saved by one a few times in the past.
Yeah, some of the tools rust like russian submarines with just a little moisture. Noticed that about CB too.

·
high pivot witchcraft
6,721 Posts
I will be interested in responses. I find most multi tools heavy AF. I have a bunch of separate, function specific tools I carry.

As for a chain tool, see post #45 in the thread below:

Just going off the top of my head, but for longer, remote rides, I carry that chain breaker in the post above, Wolf Tooth pliers and links (which stick magnetically to the pliers), and the minimalist Specialized mini tool built into my Zee cage. Of course I carry many other things as well, not usually found on a multi tool, including CO2 and head, tube, levers, bacon/plug kit, etc.

I’m always checking out multi tools but they always feel like a brick to me. Interested to see the suggestions made by others.

·
Registered
14,390 Posts
Been happy with my CB tool. It's really clever and has everything I ever needed.... even un-taco'd a wheel with the spoke wrench once. Had it for a bunch of years now...at least 10+. Little bit of pitting but not too bad. I've never applied any lube to it, I think just the oils from my hands from handling it and stuff have been sufficient.

Sent from my Pixel 4a (5G) using Tapatalk

·
Ride More - Suffer Less
3,087 Posts
For a lightweight tooI I like the One-up. I use the chain breaker rarely so that is not important for me on my main go to multi. I do carry a secondary chain breaker, on my weekly shorter rides I use the OneUp EDC carried in a pump so it has a very basic small breaker. If I do something longer I will usually pack the Park CT5.

The only downside to the OneUp multi, it is compact and sometimes hard to get the leverage on the bigger higher torque bolts, but all in all a real winner.

·
Registered
620 Posts
So I go back and forth on this. I have a Oneup pump, and stash their EDC in it. Has everything I might need on the trail. Being in the pump makes it super convenient and I never forget it that way. That said, every time I actually use it on the trail, I wish I had just brought my CB M19 because it's just beefier and easier to use.

·
Elitest thrill junkie
41,029 Posts
Here's some things I've picked up (I've bought a lot on vacations when I lost or forgot to bring a tool):

You don't want tools with loose parts, as in hexes and stuff that slides over another part. You want the tools separate and fixed as much as possible. I have one toppeak that has a small L shaped hex that you have to put together with a bigger one to use and that bigger one slides over yet another one on the tool itself. Well it didn't take long to lose one of the parts on this and it's really easy just to drop one of the small parts in grass and spend half an hour trying to find it. As much as possible, you want all the parts together and no loose crap or stuff that "fits over" other stuff. Sometimes tools use this for the chain-breaker, but sometimes it's the other way around, the chain breaker comes off and the tools (to screw it) remain fixed. The chain breaker is usually big enough that it doesn't easily fall off the tool, so it gets a pass.

I used to carry the small park chain breaker around...but literally every little mini-tool I've used with a chain breaker works better than the park tool. I do still see a chain breaker as important, the point is you can put a broken chain back together in a non-optimal length and at least be able to pedal home. In that same sense, make sure the tool actually works, as in it pushes the pin ALL the way out, which might be necessary on the trail

Yeah, stainless is nice. Like you go out and ride in the rain a bit, you have your tools on the bike or in a little pouch, that stuff just rusts if you don't do anything.

Be sure you know what you need, some tools use some funky get-arounds to try and give you a full set. The 8mm hex, which is used for securing axles, on one of my tools does double-duty with a large torx, so the tip is a torx, but you slide the tool in further to get the hex. This works fine with an axle where you can slide the tool in, but with something like a shock bolt, it doesn't work at all. One cool thing about my GG is easily changing the travel, but that's out of the question if I don't have the tool.

Sometimes there are smaller torx, like T20 that you need, so it's good to know your bike, there are some tools that have these in addition to the normal ones. Just be aware.

·
Registered
202 Posts
I have my CB m19 lightly coated with oil. Have used it many times for trailside repairs, from breaking chains, emergency wheel true up, and a myriad of adjustments. Looked at some of the tools such as oneup, but I prefer the full sized tool.

·
Registered
2,430 Posts
The Lezyne super sv23 is $59! Might be worth it though... for those who don't lose tools.

I definitely like the idea of having the plugs/fork on the same tool as opposed to rigging more junk to the bike with tape etc.

·
Elitest thrill junkie
41,029 Posts
Yeah, I don't see what the big deal is with a little pitting.

Sent from my Pixel 4a (5G) using Tapatalk
Rust tends to lock the tools in place, so it becomes difficult to impossible to "open" them. That's obviously a bad case, but that's what can happen if you haven't needed your tool in a while and haven't checked it either.

Reactions: dysfunction
1 - 20 of 24 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.