Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
697 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I was out on a ride tonight and for the first time took with me an energy bar.

Half way round the ride l stopped to eat it. Man, it was vile.

I left half of it for the rabbits. Although l bet they turned their noses up too, and it will still be there next time l go past (don't worry l put the wrapping back in my pocket)

So what about one that doesn't taste like rotten banana?

Any recommendations?

·
Registered
84 Posts
Met-RX protein bars are pretty good. They're usually 10 for $10 at Kroger. Lara Bars are good too if you eat Paleo...that's generally what we eat.

·
Registered
1,106 Posts
I'm probably going to be castigated for this, but I stopped buying expensive energy bars a few years ago. Now I have Snickers bars when the weather isn't too hot and bring a bit-o-honey bar when it's hot. They both seem to work just fine.

Edit: If you're stuck on energy-specific snacks while you're riding, I tried sportbeans last year and they tasted just like regular jelly beans, which is a good thing.

·
100.oz minimum
66 Posts
The really thick powerbar called caremel peanut fusion is good. It's thick like a candybar & covered in choclate. My 9 year old didn't like a clif bar, but wolfed down the powerbar. If a kid likes it, that says a lot.

·
Registered
131 Posts
Never found one that I thought tasted good, so if I need a snack, I take a fold over peanut butter and jelly sammich in a ziplock.

@CigarsNJeeps

·
Registered
184 Posts
Jerky, trail mix, and goldfish crackers are my preferred outdoor snack at over 100 calories/oz (same as most energy bars), but Cliff and Lara bars are the only ones I've tried that I would consider suitable as a "snack" (I've eaten them sitting around the house) rather than a "supplement". Some of the Powerbars don't have a terrible flavor, but they are dry and gritty in my opinion.

·
Registered
1,072 Posts
Clif bars are probably the best tasting I've tried. I especially like the carrot cake and white chocolate macadamia nut flavors. I agree with the above, though. I prefer pb&j sandwiches, trail mix, jerky, etc... over energy bars.

·
gobsmacked
8,757 Posts
Honey stingers and Kind bars. The kind bars I like because they're low in sugar. Did you mean energy bar or protein bars? I prefer protein bars and for energy I eat honey stingers waffles and those YUUUUUUUMMMMMMMYYYYYY little gummy candies.

·
ready to ride
859 Posts
I like the cliff bar white chocolate macadamia nut bars. They carry well and aren't horrible.

I really try to fuel up properly before a ride. Not always doable bit not hard. If I know I am going to have a long day in the woods I eat two servings of steel cut oatmeal. Slower to digest so think of it as slow release carbs. Finish that up with 3 eggs and some fruit.

Then I pack a sandwich, an apple, a cliff bar and a beer. I usually return with the apple and cliff bar. But if I'm deep in the backcountry I'd rather have and not need than need and not have.

Shorter rides try to eat well and hydrate before hand eat an apple before I bit the trail. I'm almost always good with that but always keep a cliff bar on me for reserve.

·
Fart smeller
Paid to post this crap.
18,781 Posts
The really thick powerbar called caremel peanut fusion is good. It's thick like a candybar & covered in choclate. My 9 year old didn't like a clif bar, but wolfed down the powerbar. If a kid likes it, that says a lot.
Kids like Powerbars because they're loaded with sugar. Do a little research.

·
Registered
697 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Some of these may not be available here in the UK.

I used to take a Mars or Marathon (Snickers) when l rode MTB years ago, but thought it may be an unhealthy way to get an energy fix.

Powerbars are available l will try one of those. But is it better for you than a regular chocolate bar like Snickers, as they are great.

·
Registered
250 Posts
If I absolutely need to have a bar I do ClifBar since they're mostly organic.
Other than that I'll take some nuts and dried fruit as a fuel.
dates are pretty good as well and you can mix them with nuts and other stuff to make your own energy bars.
Most of the commercially sold energy bars aren't really good for you and are made with some nasty ingredients.

1 - 20 of 36 Posts