Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Recommend me a ultra light weight 26" coil spring fork w/ 100mm travel.
Everything I've looked up is 4 to 5 pounds. I'm looking for something way lighter ... taking any recommendations ...it can be a cheap fork or expensive. NOT LOOKING FOR AN AIR SPRING.

·
Registered
4,724 Posts
Old coil forks aren't light.
On top of that, not sure where you can find a high end 100mm coil fork regardless of weight. A Manitou circus expert uses a coil springs inside of an air chamber and is probably the highest end option available, but it's a DJ fork with 20mm axle(might have a 15mm option now), a DJ damper tune, and still weighs 4+ lbs. Also still has a air assist and is not a full on coil fork

The product doesn't exist

·
Registered
1,886 Posts
Can you expand on what you need it for? There’s a few compounding issues eg getting a spring of an appropriate rate to fit in a short/narrow chassis. Might be ok for a very light rider though, I would be looking at a 2003ish fox vanilla rlc. I wonder if a modern f32 lower fits to bring the weight down?

I think to reach your weight goal you will be needing a custom fork to some degree

·
mbtr member
6,499 Posts
Recommend me a ultra light weight 26" coil spring fork w/ 100mm travel.
Everything I've looked up is 4 to 5 pounds. I'm looking for something way lighter ... taking any recommendations ...it can be a cheap fork or expensive. NOT LOOKING FOR AN AIR SPRING.
Hi time traveler!

In your time air springs were pretty crap, and ignoring the damper was reasonable cuz they all sucked. In the last 2 decades air springs have evolved to the point where they're generally superior (and completely superior on a 100mm fork), and the spring is fairly irrelevant compared to the damper.

26" died 5 years ago. Lots of 650b forks work fine; just go off axle-to-crown to judge.

Reality TV star donald trump is our president now.

You should describe your use-case and let someone else guide you. You've missed a lot by skipping forward.

·
Registered
10,033 Posts
Scott nailed it. I do like a coil, but yeah, these days you can just ignore the spring and mind the damper.

You can dig up an old unreliable garbage fork, or pickup a very good much newer air fork that works properly. Anything light and coil isn't remotely good.

·
Registered
1,929 Posts
2003 or 2004 Marzocchi Marathon S. (Not SL)

Coil Spring, open bath HSVC damper (Marz high end damper at the time) You use oil height like a volume spacer. You can still get seals, but you'll have to wait for one to pop up.

The weigh about 1550 grams.

·
Registered
10,288 Posts
Some light reading for you gentlement: https://weightweenies.starbike.com/listings/components.php?type=suspensionforks

2002 Mars Coil is 1480g. Only 80mm though.

Marzocchi Marathon S is showing 500g more for the 100mm version than the 80.
Fox Vanilla RLC is knocking on 2kg.

Good luck finding any fork from that age that's still in daily ridable condition. Most are relegated to wall ornaments now.

·
mbtr member
6,499 Posts
2002 Mars Coil is 1480g. Only 80mm though.

Marzocchi Marathon S is showing 500g more for the 100mm version than the 80.
Fox Vanilla RLC is knocking on 2kg.
2003 or 2004 Marzocchi Marathon S. (Not SL)

Coil Spring, open bath HSVC damper (Marz high end damper at the time) You use oil height like a volume spacer. You can still get seals, but you'll have to wait for one to pop up.

The weigh about 1550 grams.
Anyone who has the wherewithal to be selling those forks a la carte rode the crap out of it and it's due for retirement. If it's for sale it's automatically not worth buying.

(ya i know you guys know it's true)

1 - 10 of 10 Posts