Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 46 Posts

·
MTBR member
798 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I need a new tent for car camping trips. I will be using it mostly in Southern and Northern Utah. It has to fit myself (6'2'), my wife, daughter (4 years old), and sometimes my 75lb Weimariener. It'll need to hold some gear as well. I'd like to spend $250.00-$350.00. Currently, I am looking at the Marmot Limelight and a couple of the REI models (Quaterdome, Hobitat, etc...). My biggest requirement is quality. Thanks!

·
Fart smeller
Paid to post this crap.
19,859 Posts

·
Registered
1,489 Posts
I have the 3 person Limelight and it's a real nice tent and light for the size. It could be a touch tight for your whole family. We can do two people and two largish dogs. It's only a touch heavier than my REI 2 person. REI tents are great and last a long time just a little heavy for backpacking.
Since your kid will grow, I'd recommend a 4 person. Check out Big Agnes-they make great stuff. Or Marmot or REI all are good.

·
Registered
2,144 Posts
Keep in mind that the supposed number of people a tent can hold is based on lying side by side on your back with very little space in between. I'd recommend getting a much bigger tent, at least a 6 person tent. You really can't go wrong with an REI tent.

·
trail addict
1,866 Posts
wookie said:
I need a new tent for car camping trips. I will be using it mostly in Southern and Northern Utah. It has to fit myself (6'2'), my wife, daughter (4 years old), and sometimes my 75lb Weimariener. It'll need to hold some gear as well. I'd like to spend $250.00-$350.00. Currently, I am looking at the Marmot Limelight and a couple of the REI models (Quaterdome, Hobitat, etc...). My biggest requirement is quality. Thanks!
I was think that now that my family is expanding and there are little ones to think about, I need a bigger tent and quality is a big necessity... I have been looking at Cabela's tents and they look great. Haven't looked in a while, but I remember they were expensive.

·
Former Bike Wrench
15,976 Posts
Been using this tent since 2007, broke a pole last summer (splinted it) and LL Bean replaced the entire tent for free (including shipping)!

http://www.llbean.com/llb/shop/68612?from=SR&feat=sr

Plenty of room for Me, Wife, two kids in the main room...and two dogs and all gear stashed in the screen room.

·
Afric Pepperbird
4,752 Posts
Thor29 said:
Keep in mind that the supposed number of people a tent can hold is based on lying side by side on your back with very little space in between. I'd recommend getting a much bigger tent, at least a 6 person tent. You really can't go wrong with an REI tent.
+1 on everything this guy/gal said.

REI's are fine.

·
canuck
695 Posts
I used this one last spring in moab, used it for about a week and a half had some serous weather hit a couple times.

it worked awesome had to take a leak at 2 am didn't know there was a wind storm and everything in my camp was gone?.... even my lantern was a good ways away...

I'm 6'1 and me and wifey were a cozy fit. you may want this

solid and quiet, very water proof.

found most of my stuff the next morning along with others stuff lol.

I like small and cheap before size and room...

·
Registered
6,787 Posts
I have a Quarterdome. You aren't getting all that stuff in one of those. You need to be looking at Hobitat or similar. I am inclined to buy a Hobitat for car camping for this summer. I have liked that tent for a long time. Get the vestibule and store your gear "outside" :)

·
Registered
3,148 Posts
Again on the REI. We have a Quarterdome T2 Plus and a Hobitat 6. One for car camping, the other for backpacking...

Their tents are by far the best buy for the money IMO. Also MSR (albeit a bit overpriced IMO) and Big Agnes make some great tents. Eureka also makes great tents that are priced closer to the REI prices.

I would just get an REI tent and the footprint for it though.

·
since 4/10/2009
34,397 Posts
I have a Eureka 10x12 dome tent I got for free a number of years ago for car camping duty. It was missing the fly, and I was able to order a new fly from Eureka no problem. This tent has survived storms severe enough that the wind folded the tent over on itself, and everything remained dry inside. It's pretty solid.

These days, however, I prefer to use a hammock when I can. I just sleep worlds better in one.

·
Banned
1,095 Posts
2 room tents

We have a Columbia Cougar Flats we've been using starting on 3 years now. As our now 4 year old child grows. The two room design starts to loose its appeal.

Its awesome when its raining or during the day. You can set up a table and chairs on the "living room" side. Keeps you dry and away from bugs. At night convert it to a place for the kiddo and dog to sleep. Plenty of room for storage. Both sides are the same size and can accomadate a queen size matress.

Now what I dont like. Trying to keep a 4 year old and a 70 pound Boxer from ripping the center wall down. Constant running back and forth between the two. I know I know. Control your kid and dog. Easier said then done when your holed up in a tent for long periods of time during rain.

Big roomy tents come at a price. That price is trying to find a 10"x15" level footprint to pitch it. The campsites with nice manicured level tent areas have for the most part been big enough. Its the more primitive, natural lay of the land campsites that can be difficult.

Not knocking the Cougar Flats tent. It has been an awesome tent. Kept us dry in many a storms. However, I think this upcoming camping season will be our last season in it. Next year I'd like to down size to a 9'x12' single room tent. The whole two and three room tent is more of a gimic IMO. Its not like people are'nt going to hear you in the next room. Great for changing in private though.

Just some of my personal likes and dislikes about car camping tents. Hope it helps.

·
I need a new name
911 Posts
We have been using an Alps Mountaineering tent for about 6 years now. It's the Meramac 3 or 4 model. For $100 it's been a great tent. No leaks, and it has held up very well. In another 2 years it will probably be time to replace it. I really like the double doors and clips for the poles. After dealing with sliding poles through sleeves for years, I'll never go back to that system, it's clips only now.

EDIT: It looks like the price has gone up $30 in the past 6 years.

·
Registered
127 Posts
REI Hobitat 6 or REI Base Camp 6 will be the best family tents that you can get to fit all your gear, members and still sleep comfortably. You'll also be able to stand up in both of these tents. I would lean towards the Hobitat for one reason, the Garage. Its an extra large vestibule that you can purchase separately, it creates an area for you to keep your bikes, coolers, chairs etc. that doesnt need to be in the tent, but still protected from the elements.

The Base Camp 6 is a large single room tent (Its what I use) that is 6' ft in the center. Its a little easier to set up, and its a lot stronger than the Hobitat design, so if you're camping in storms, or winter camping, it might be the way to go.

REI tents are some of the best tents on the market and always win awards for design, convenience, and features. They are rugged and if taken care of properly, will last many many years.

1 - 20 of 46 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.